LED lighting help needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonymac

Reaction score
Morning All,

I am having an issue with led under cabinet lighting, I have 6 lights that was originally installed with halogen bulbs which I hated as the light was yellow and wanted bright white, I changed the bulbs to led and changed the driver, I have 6 lights with 3.5w bulbs = 21w total I changed the halogen driver to a 24w led driver now All 6 will not work, 5 will work with led and 1 halogen if I change the halogen one to a led the last 3 stop working, I then thought probably be the driver close to it max, so I changed the driver to a 60w led driver and still the same issue, why can I not change the 6th light to led?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

this is the driver I brought

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016KFT536/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks

2 possibilities spring to mind.

1/ insufficent load for the driver, which is worrying as I have just bought some of those for a little project.

2/ some LED lamps are designed to be used with the original driver as direct replacement for halogens, so may not work with an LED driver.

Try putting the halogen driver back in.

If I put the original halogen driver back in none of the led bulbs work, if I put original halogen driver in and original bulbs then all works, just don’t like the colour lol, don’t really want to replace them all for led lamps and drivers as the wiring is behind the tiles so will work out expensive to have it all redone ☹️

If the new driver needs 1 halogen to get the 5 LEDs to light suggests to  me that that  the driver needs a minimum load to function.

I would try a different LED driver

The led lamps are probably polarity sensitive, which the halogens were not.

Whilst I can't think why reversing them should give the symptoms you have, have you tried reversing any?   (You can't damage leds with reverse supply ).

Not sure about reversing them as everything is plug and play so to speak, all have plugs which can only fit one way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting confused now.

My question about polarity was a shot in the dark as I can't think what could be causing the symptoms you report, but you haven't said how you've ensured correct polarity to your new led lamps. which MAY be relevant.

The lamps you have given a link to are halogens, so presumably the ones you have removed?

If I understand correctly you want to connect some new led lamps to a new led driver using the wiring that previously had halogen components.

SO:  What new led lamps have you obtained?

Are the new lamps polarity sensitive?  If it doesn't tell you on the packaging try one on a PP3 or similar 9 volt battery. If it only lights one way around you now know which is +ve.

Check that the reconnected wiring is correct, such that all the lamp +ve go to the driver +ve..  

I don’t think it’s the driver as both drivers I have are doing the same
welcome to the world of mix and not match led lights and drivers

your choice is refit the halogen bulbs or source a new light fitting and the compatible transformer / driver. 

ive seen to many DIYers try and save money by thinking they have bought the right parts ....

I wired up my driver (12w version) to a single G4 led lamp - works a treat and the lamp is only 2W. So polarity may well be the issue. THe cable is usually white 2 core with a feint black stripe down one side, which is +ve.

I'm getting confused now.

My question about polarity was a shot in the dark as I can't think what could be causing the symptoms you report, but you haven't said how you've ensured correct polarity to your new led lamps. which MAY be relevant.

The lamps you have given a link to are halogens, so presumably the ones you have removed?

If I understand correctly you want to connect some new led lamps to a new led driver using the wiring that previously had halogen components.

SO:  What new led lamps have you obtained?

Are the new lamps polarity sensitive?  If it doesn't tell you on the packaging try one on a PP3 or similar 9 volt battery. If it only lights one way around you now know which is +ve.

Check that the reconnected wiring is correct, such that all the lamp +ve go to the driver +ve..  
Geoff, Sorry I didn’t make myself clear,  the lamps I had were halogen, I changed the driver to a led driver and changed the halogen bulbs for led bulbs, still using the original lamp holders  just not using the original driver and bulbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used some of those led lamps, (bulbs ), in my caravan and mine definitely only work one way around.  It didn't matter with the old halogens; they could go either way.   It's just a case of plugging it in and see if it lights. If it does all is well. If it doesn't unplug it, rotate it 180 degrees and try again.

Have you tried the test I suggested with a battery?

Why not do what Binky suggests.? Try one lamp directly onto your driver.  If that works it rules out everything except your wiring

I've used some of those led lamps, (bulbs ), in my caravan and mine definitely only work one way around.  It didn't matter with the old halogens; they could go either way.   It's just a case of plugging it in and see if it lights. If it does all is well. If it doesn't unplug it, rotate it 180 degrees and try again.

Have you tried the test I suggested with a battery?

Why not do what Binky suggests.? Try one lamp directly onto your driver.  If that works it rules out everything except your wiring
Geoff, I did the same with my caravan, they didn't work, it turned out that the driver was running an AC output, iirc a lot of the old 12v halogen stuff as sold in the likes of the big orange shed was just a step down transformer, AC in AC out, a real pita if you can't easily get at the transformer.

Geoff, Sorry I didn’t make myself clear,  the lamps I had were halogen, I changed the driver to a led driver and changed the halogen bulbs for led bulbs, still using the original lamp holders  just not using the original driver and bulbs.
so what is the total wattage of the LED lamps? 

Latest posts