sayin' hi with an age old question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tones

Reaction score
At 54yrs old going the none traditional route to gain qualifications of 2365 l2&l3 then on to nvq3 AM2 (this could take me 2-3 years). I am adding to my career from a time served mechanical fitter /mechanic(with qualifications) to be able to do multiskilled work. (job adverts on web sites such as CV library are leaning more and more to people with electrical qualifications for maintenance roles)As I'm familiar with industrial environments and some types of equipment this is where I want to concentrate my efforts for work. 

Being a novice electrical trainee and  at my age I think would be difficult if not near impossible finding a placement in an industrial setting. My aim for a working career is more focused as a field service engineer both electrical and mechanical. But this I think may hinder the assessors ability to any check work I have completed  for  the NVQ3 part and any work would need to be over seen by a qualified electrician in the first place. As many field service roles are lone worker jobs.

I'm thinking along the lines of being able to isolate and remove static equipment such as pumps or packaging machinery, conveyors etc, etc, for service/maintenance work, commission and install new plant equipment and install new electrical supplies ,as this is where I would like to earn my living from. I have no interest of being self employed

So after the long intro. At the ripe old age of 54 am I just wasting my money and time or should I push on with what I want as regards to achieving that "extra string" to my career bow for the next 12-13years. Should I just concentrate on getting domestic site based work until the l2 and l3  part is done working as a electricians mate("doing my time") then work as a domestic installer and then move onto the industrial side/field work for more experience of 3phase for the nvq3 assessment and AM2 exam. Again thinking I may have difficulty at 54yrs gaining employment as a trainee.

Your thoughts and advise all  taken on board

Thanks 

Latest posts