bird scarers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bit of an unusual one but anyone done anything with bird scarers? got a site that has a prolem with birds (mainly seagulls) on the roof of the building and want someting put up there

Google "gas gun bird scarers "...

farmers  use them to keep birds off the crops, also used on Airports

dont think gas gun would be suitable. ideally looking for something electronic that can be wired in and pretty much left. excessive noise from them would also be an issue

Get a pet bird of prey?

theyve tried - works for a few days then back to normal

What I see round here is a network if fine lines stretched across the roof in a matrix, just above the roof level to disrupt their ability to land.  Completely passive and silent.

You need a crowd of holidaymakers eating fish & chips or ice-creams in the street below..

As seagulls do like dive bombing holidaymakers!!

:innocent      :slap      :D

:coat

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually suspend a netting above the roof stops them landing. 

beat me to it! 

it was mentioned but its a large roof so and they dont want the expense of that

Just remembered....Wife was plagued with seagulls and crows 💩 in her horses water trough

she got a large 60cm tall, plastic owl with a rotating head, blows around in the wind

problem solved

they have already tried similar

I don't think I've seen anything other than the above, and seagulls (****ehawks as we know them in the SW) are persistent barstewards. Only physical barriers really work for any length of time, or someone has to get brave a regulalarly visit the roof. I don't thik you are allowed to destroy nests, but replacing eggs with dummy eggs is allowed, which eventually removes the issue, but takes years. I have read that laser pens can be used to drive birds off, so maybe there is some form of rotating laser that might work - perhaps time to get inventive and design the worlds best 'mouse trap' to coin an old phrase. 

We use gas guns at the farm, don't even go there, airports use the distress calls of the particular bird through a loudspeaker on a landrover, again it works but it isn't constant, perhaps something like that controlled by a pir? or a couple of large plastic hawks, make them move occasionally, it's a tough one for sure.

We use gas guns at the farm, don't even go there, airports use the distress calls of the particular bird through a loudspeaker on a landrover, again it works but it isn't constant, perhaps something like that controlled by a pir? or a couple of large plastic hawks, make them move occasionally, it's a tough one for sure.

Last time i had anything to dop with one of them gas gun things was about 35 years ago.. Even in the middle of a 100 acre field the noise was unbelievable. Was a HUGE bang about every 30 seconds or so. Think field artillery and you get the idea..

john..

well ive ordered a few electronic ones... see how they go. i did mention a few thoughts from here but the response was 'i agree but they (management) want them up'