Confused

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gian

Reaction score
Good evening all, I have done some reading and I am confused. I know that a lot of inverter manufacturers advise to fit a 100ma breaker and not use a 30ma.looked through Bs7671 and I give up. Are there any solar installers that know what is right. I really do understand that it's good practice to have its own cu on its own this to me makes a lot of sence. At the end of the day Nuisance tripping is one of the main issues and sort of understand why this happens and as the inverter gets older it tends to leak a bit more. OK main question is who is right and what should an electrician do. G

Thank you for your replies, much appricates. Fires please lol. What rcd is suited to use with a domestic pv install. Also same question for a farm install. Home on a tncs farm building on a tt. 

May I just add, I am here to get advise, not get caught into endlesss conversations on trying to make a person look silly on a chat. I am here as I guess you guys are installers or electricians and are here to help. That's why you are engaging in a forum chat,which is so much appricated really. 

Thank you for your replies, much appreciates. Fires please lol. What rcd is suited to use with a domestic pv install. Also same question for a farm install. Home on a tncs farm building on a tt. 

You still haven't really asked a question!

Application of RCD's depend on the installation of the system and cables.

My install doesn't have a RCD

RCDs best avoided at all costs - which isn't usually hard to achieve as it's a brand new circuit. NEVER SHARE AN RCD WITH OTHER CIRCUITS.

Farm building on TT -  same as above, just comply with TT requirements, or fit 300mA RCD not shared with any ither cct - look in regs about farm buildings.

Decent inverters don't trip 30mA RCDs anyway, so don't buy cheap Chinese lettuced. 

May I just add, I am here to get advise, not get caught into endlesss conversations on trying to make a person look silly on a chat. I am here as I guess you guys are installers or electricians and are here to help. That's why you are engaging in a forum chat,which is so much appricated really. 
have you done the PV course for such installations? Perhaps it would be worth investing in if you plan to install this equipment regularly? 
we are very helpful, however you need to describe why you think the view you think so that we understand where you are coming from. 

we don't do that, unless someone truly desrves it  :^O .

do you have a background in electrics, or is this a DiY project that you are trying to do? 

Thank you all, I actually will be fitting to my home which is on tncs. I def will put on its own dedicated cu. Just want to know if its OK to use an 100ma breaker as suggested by inverter manufacturer, and mcb for its circuit. Read up a lot so I thought best people to chat to is the guys on the job. 

Thank you all, I actually will be fitting to my home which is on tncs. I def will put on its own dedicated cu. Just want to know if its OK to use an 100ma breaker as suggested by inverter manufacturer, and mcb for its circuit. Read up a lot so I thought best people to chat to is the guys on the job. 
dare I ask if you are a spark?

I'm sorry to say that adding new consumer units and/or new circuits is way beyond DIY... more so because you obviously don't know the regulations that apply to the work that you're planning and also that you won't have the test equipment to verify that the work that you've done is both safe and compliant...

Thank you for your replies, much appricates. Fires please lol. What rcd is suited to use with a domestic pv install. Also same question for a farm install. Home on a tncs farm building on a tt. 

No I am a refuge collector. 

Refuge collector?    have you been removing refuge bays off smart motorways?

As there never seems to be enough?   :C

If you are looking for helpful practical advice...

Then the greater detail about your past experience/qualifications will be a significant help to anyone attempting to  answer....

As it is no good giving an answer that is over the head of the person asking...

And, it is dangerous beyond any level of comprehension to advise someone who is clearly out of their depth..

to dabble around with a product that can kill someone in under a second!!!!

Plus...  when you are discussing / designing the appropriate protective devices for electrical circuits, it is generally not a DIY task!

:C

Fully understand and having read the bs7671 it was not really clear as stated inverter manufacturer's on some units recommend 100ma some 300ma. On the other hand ev chargers very similar must not connect to tncs system must change to tt. I get this but some chargers will not work correctly on tt so they have to be connected to tncs. I have read proper electricians fitting these because they could not get suffient readings hooked up to tt Island. So to meet the requirements that's what they done. Safety is paramount but discussion is good in my instance when I want to know as very interested. I laugh sometimes as I have friends of friends who are electricans and they are not qualified in motor vehicles yet fit brakes, steering racks, ball joints. Could take out a coach load of people on a motorway. But I know these chaps maybe not qualified mechanics but they are switched on and very able to do this work, like no doubt an individual working on say his home consumer unit may not be qualified to do this but maybe very capable and always thinks safety first. I always remember many years ago I went to Yorkshire to do a week's AP lv course and the trainer who was excellent told the class that the mechanical chaps who attend the course are much safer than the electricians, as he quoted to us the electricians get complacent. Anyway I do again thank all for responses. 

Fully understand and having read the bs7671 it was not really clear as stated inverter manufacturer's on some units recommend 100ma some 300ma. On the other hand ev chargers very similar must not connect to tncs system must change to tt. I get this but some chargers will not work correctly on tt so they have to be connected to tncs. I have read proper electricians fitting these because they could not get suffient readings hooked up to tt Island. So to meet the requirements that's what they done. Safety is paramount but discussion is good in my instance when I want to know as very interested. I laugh sometimes as I have friends of friends who are electricans and they are not qualified in motor vehicles yet fit brakes, steering racks, ball joints. Could take out a coach load of people on a motorway. But I know these chaps maybe not qualified mechanics but they are switched on and very able to do this work, like no doubt an individual working on say his home consumer unit may not be qualified to do this but maybe very capable and always thinks safety first. I always remember many years ago I went to Yorkshire to do a week's AP lv course and the trainer who was excellent told the class that the mechanical chaps who attend the course are much safer than the electricians, as he quoted to us the electricians get complacent. Anyway I do again thank all for responses. 
Just had an email from the manufacturer to confirm that the inverter I will be fitting must use a 100ma rcd.