Wall kettles

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a reliable wall kettle for a teachers staff room? I see they vary in price from £300 to £800 for a 2.5litre unit, so you have to wonder what you get for an extra £500 for a Zip Boil? (apart from less change 😀

I wondered what on earth a 'wall kettle' was, I now understand you are looking for a wall mounted water boiler (not water heater.... seen that mistake on a works order played out, you'd have thought someone would have seen there was already a DHW tap present....)

Lincat WMB3F is generally a reasonable sensible option for the office/school staff tearoom sort of environment for a sort of mid range option

Rather than a wall kettle, how about a boiling water tap?

Our was from Howdens, but is a badged Redring unit.  The water boiler goes under in the sink unit and one mixer tap dispenses normal hot and cold via a mixer handle and a separate handle with a safety device dispenses the boiling water.  It cost about £400

Quooker are a more common make of boiling water tap but are more expensive.

boiling_water_tap.jpg

stone_worktop_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with the Lincat. They seem robust and reliable and you can get spares when you need them.  They do need periodic de-scaling, which is a bit of a PIA, but I think any type will.

@ProDave  they already have an undersink water heater, which is hot enough to make tea with, but don't seem to like the idea of using that to make a brew. I have looked at some hot water taps, they aren't any cheaper than a wall kettle, plus all the plumbing and electrics are already in place for a wall kettle. The school was renting a unit at great expense, which I replaced with a Newey unit 2 years ago. That had been working fine, bar the tap lever is weak and has snapped once, plus the unit is now tripping the RCBO for the cct which it shares with 2 unused sockets and not much else,  Needless to say it's just out of warranty. 

we use Zip ones across all my work area and thats quite a few. They arent cheap, but nothing is if its any good. The only fails I come across is the ballvalve in the small header tank and the odd leaky tap, other than that pretty reliable units.

@ProDave  they already have an undersink water heater, which is hot enough to make tea with, but don't seem to like the idea of using that to make a brew. I have looked at some hot water taps, they aren't any cheaper than a wall kettle, plus all the plumbing and electrics are already in place for a wall kettle. The school was renting a unit at great expense, which I replaced with a Newey unit 2 years ago. That had been working fine, bar the tap lever is weak and has snapped once, plus the unit is now tripping the RCBO for the cct which it shares with 2 unused sockets and not much else,  Needless to say it's just out of warranty. 
The warranty is in addition to your legal rights. Your legal rights say that items must be of merchantable quality and last a reasonable time. "Reasonable" is quoted as 5 years in Scotland and 6 years in England. If your just "out of warranty" is just after a year contact your retailer and insist on a repair or compensation.

Latest posts