Moving Consumer unit location

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
Just wondering if you wanted to move a consumer unit location without a full rewire how would be best to do it ? 

would it be to use an adaptable box with the correct connectors inside it to connect the cables ? Or is there a better way ? 

Depends on how far from existing, if cables can be moved then move them if not a large adapt box with din rail and din rail connectors is a tidy way of doing it. 

Second vote for an adaptable box with din rail connections. I think Wago do some din rail mountable push fit connections. 

why is it being moved? if its to put somehting else there then an adaptable box would be just as in the way as the unit its self. depending where cables come from you could pull them back, replace them to the first point, crimp and heatshrink, wago's in wago box  or a mixture of all & other methods...

Just remember that the connections will almost certainly need to be accessible ..

why is it being moved?
customers wanted it within reach and too high on wall 

Thanks again for your input. I’ll look into din rail connectors 

sold at CPC, CEF, RS and probably your local wholesalers. Other brands are available and they're available with screw and push fit connections.

I tend to split a ring at a socket these days - you generally have to drop a few socket fronts off to fault find anyway. 

One I recently was trying to fault find was 6mm brown / blue at the CU and 2.5mm at all the sockets - so I never did find where the join was. The customer knew where the fuseboard used to be but there was certainly no access to any joints