LEDs and Dimming Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Shepton

Reaction score
A while ago I installed 12 low power LEDs on a 2-way circuit, they were cheap LEDs from Home Bargains, but were labelled as dimmable. They worked fine for weeks on the standard switches. I decided to change one of the two switches for a cheap dimmer switch I found on Amazon. This worked but produced a noticeable flicker at various settings on the switch. I then bought a more expensive dimmer switch from Screwfix, which was rated down to 0W. When I installed this, it worked as a switch, but it did not dim at all, it is either on or off!  It has a programmable function which seems to work, but none of the three settings allowed it to dim or seemed to change its operation in any way. Before I go back to Screwfix and complain that it isn’t working, I wanted to know if there is something I have missed. Is it the fact I am trying to dim 12 bulbs at once causing a problem, or something else? Any advice would be very gratefully received.

(The new switch is a Varilight V-Pro 1-Gang 2-Way LED Dimmer Switch)

ah the delights of LED and dimming

Given you have tried the varilight and it doesn't work maybe try some decent LED dimmable bulb? If they are less than £3 each they probably aren't worth fitting

I've found Screwfix GU10 LAP lamps reliable, though mine aren't on dimmers. 

If you buy both lamp and dimmer from the same supplier you can justifiably take them back if they don't work together.

Osram lamps and Zano controls dimmer works well - I fitted some of these a few months ago and was amazed at the smooth dimming without flickering. See my post 

Latest posts