Safety advice for using IP65 GU10 lights in a bathroom niche

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyBlue

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some guidance/safety advice please for bathroom lighting.

I am building a stud wall in my bathroom in order to make a niche / alcove / recessed self that runs along the side of the bath, with the roof of the niche around 50cm up from the internal edge of the bath (Zone 0), so classed as Zone 1 I believe going by the IET BS 7671 Section 701 for baths and showers. There is also a shower head from the ceiling above the bath that would splash the niche when in use. The stud wall be be made with a metal frame and STS tile backing boards, then tiled with ceramic tiles.

I would like to downlight the niche and my preference is to do so with light fittings that can take dimmable GU10 bulbs, so I can replace the bulbs when they go, rather than have to replace a whole sealed unit and have the issue of trying to find one with the same dimensions and not run the risk of having to break tiles.

I am also looking to fit a two gang glass fronted touch panel dimmable light switch inside the bathroom in Zone 2, one gang for the ceiling lights, the other for the niche lights.

The lights I have purchased to use in the niche are Aurora EN-FD103 220-240v GU10 IP65 compact fire rated downlights with dimmable GU10 bulbs.

The data sheet inside these state that they are 'IP65 protected against dust and jets of water. They are suitable for installation in locations containing a bath or shower, as defined by the National Wiring Regulations, Zones 1 & 2 where water jets are likely'.

The light switch I have bought is a I LumoS Luxury White Glass Panel LED Dimmer Touch Light Switches - 2 Gang 1 Way Double Panel, which states is suitable for use in Zone 2 and has an IP25 rating with a 97% humidity resistance.

I've reached out to a couple of retired electricians, and the guys at the electrical shop where I picked up the lights (having explained the above) and I'm getting conflicting advice- the electricians are saying its a NO to have 220-240v that close where you would be under/in water and be able to touch the fitting regardless of IP rating, but the electrical shop staff said these are safe and suitable for what I want to do.

My house has an up to date RCD trip switch box installed within the last 5 years, and the same for the wiring.

Having read through the IET BS 7671 Section 701, I believe that all the bits I have bought and where I intend to fit them all meet the safety requirements outlined there.

Looking for any guidance / recommendations for peace of mind before I fit these if anyone has any input please?

Thanks in advance!

I would be inclined to use 12V transformers for lights in that location - extend cables form the light fitting to a location where you can access the transformers, like  a loft space. As much as things might say they are suitable, I wouldn't trust the Chinese manufacturerers to have fully complied with standards. 

I'm with Binky here. I would not entertain mains voltage within easy reach of my bath regardless of the equipment specification. Steam and condensation around fittings which were really designed to be in a ceiling close by whilst I'm sat in a tub of water, (?) . No thanks.

Locked to prevent being hi-jacked (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.