infra red heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Ok chaps, looking for a bit of advice here, I've had something dropped on me at the farm and am looking for suggestions.

The children (both 23) have decided that they want a man cave and daddy has asked me to sort it, it's going to be in the old hay loft, an area of about 30 feet by 90 feet, when I've put the dividing wall in, now I've all the stuff coming tomorrow to line the walls and roof, kingspan, osb, studwork timber etc and once this is done I' m going to wire it all.

I'm going for galv conduit so it looks pretty, lol, aiming for the industrial look, now I'm good with everything else except for the heaters. I was thinking about infra red as they'd heat people rather than area and given the size of the room I thought that was the best way to go, what I'm looking for is some recommendations. The ceiling starts at about 8 feet and goes up to a point which is about 14 feet, so quite a big area in cubic feet and a lot of dead space to heat if I use ordinary heaters. There's no gas so it has to be electric, and yes I know it can work out expensive but that's not an issue, apparently! So there we have it, the little darlings want it, daddy has asked me to deliver it, so off we go, wish my old fella had been like that with me when I was younger, lol

I've got an old Dimplex QXD 3kw wall mounted IR heater that is very good so long as you don't mind being bathed in a red light. If you go for anything that heats the air I'd have some sort of recirculation to send it back down, even if it's just a fan in the apex pushing the hot air back down.