Electrical Instalation condition report codes details

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayelect

Reaction score
I recently had a EIRC done for a rental. After the checks I asked the electrician if all was OK, and he refusing to say anything just referring me back to 'the office will send a report'?? Which I thought odd as I'm paying for the report. It came back  today as unsatisfactory (code C2)

There was only two observations  -  

1. Inspection Schedule Item 5.17.1: Connections soundly made and under no undue strain (526.6) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required. C2

2. Inspection Schedule Item 6.6: Suitability of equipment for external influences for installed location in terms of IP rating (701.512.2) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required. C2

I cant find anywhere where on the paperwork where there is more detail of what these are and where. The second one looks like it could be the bathroom light as there is only a light and pull switch. Although the light I thought from previous test was and looks like an IP44.

The first one is this likely a loose wire in one of the 14 wall ring sockets / or 7 switches? Should there not be more detail as to which socket it is. Surely you cant say there is a fault but not say where?

Or is this a way of guaranteeing I have to call them back and not get another electrician to rectify.

Help appreciated thanks

That’s very poor information and I suspect done on purpose so you have to use them for remedial work

i would recommend you email them and ask for more details

FYI 701.512.2 applies to electrical accessories in zone 0 or zone 1

That’s very poor information and I suspect done on purpose so you have to use them for remedial work

i would recommend you email them and ask for more details

FYI 701.512.2 applies to electrical accessories in zone 0 or zone 1
Thanks.

701.512.2 applies to electrical accessories in zone 0 or zone 1.. The bathroom light is probably just within the 600mm from the edge of the bath but definitely not over the bath. ceiling of about 2300mm. Even in zone 1 would  IP44 be be ok ??

Would lights come under accessories ?

Item 5.17.1: Connections soundly made and under no undue strain (526.6) is in a potentially dangerous condition
 Would this refer to a loose wiring. I did see them take off a socket in the kitchen . 

Would this refer to a loose wiring. I did see them take off a socket in the kitchen . 

Any bodies guess I'm afraid. They should have looked inside as number of switches and sockets  around the property, but to be honest it's quicker to tighten them up as you find them than document the fault

I have asked for further information on the observations and got a quote.  Stating  -1. Investigate no continuity online and neutral. 2 Replace bathroom light. £190

I fear on them not giving out further information I am being forced into using them to do the works. If I got someone else do they have to do all the testing again. ?

If there is no continuity on line and neutral would this not show up on r1+rn tests. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have asked for further information on the observations and got a quote.  Stating  -1. Investigate no continuity online and neutral. 2 Replace bathroom light. £190

I fear on them not giving out further information I am being forced into using them to do the works. If I got someone else do they have to do all the testing again. ?

If there is no continuity on line and neutral would this not show up on r1+rn tests. ?

interesting response - which is different to what the EICR suggested!

What does the EICR state for the continuity of conductors for the ring circuit(s) - could you post the page (details of contractor and you redacted) showing the schedule of test results?

The price seems a little high TBH 

The BIG lesson to come out of this, is use a different electrician next time.

You would not tolerate your car failing the MOT and the tester not telling you why but offering to repair it would you?

Was there a Schedule of test results (there should have been) that would show a broken ring.

The BIG lesson to come out of this, is use a different electrician next time.

You would not tolerate your car failing the MOT and the tester not telling you why but offering to repair it would you?

Was there a Schedule of test results (there should have been) that would show a broken ring.
Yes there is a schedule of test results  -  all 6 circuits have R1+R2 circuit impedances ranging between 0.49 and 0.84ohms. Only Socket ring  has  - r1 0.23, rn 0.23, r2(cpc) 0.38.

The electrician was appointed through a known (tv adds) nation wide online rental agent. 

Yes there is a schedule of test results  -  all 6 circuits have R1+R2 circuit impedances ranging between 0.49 and 0.84ohms. Only Socket ring  has  - r1 0.23, rn 0.23, r2(cpc) 0.38.

So that suggests no continuity issues ..........

Best ask the electrician for clarity ....

The electrician was appointed through a known (tv adds) nation wide online rental agent. 

Any company that can afford to pay sufficient money to cover a nationwide TV advert...

Is obviously raking-in bucket loads of cash from somewhere..

AND that somewhere is normally the poor customer...

AKA the last link in the chain paying over the odds for work that can easily be obtained at an equal or better quality,

from a smaller independent trader who doesn't have to give a significant proportion of their profit margin to a third party living off the back of their hard work!

An EICR should be just a report on the condition of an installation with regard to its suitability for its ongoing safe use..

any remedial works required should be open to ANY contractor to undertake..

NOT just the contractor who did the EICR..

i.e.  The EICR should have sufficient information for any competent person to identify what remedial works are recommended..

IF the EICR lacks sufficient information the the EICR is not complete IMHO!

Guinness  

Any company that can afford to pay sufficient money to cover a nationwide TV advert...

Is obviously raking-in bucket loads of cash from somewhere..

AND that somewhere is normally the poor customer...

AKA the last link in the chain paying over the odds for work that can easily be obtained at an equal or better quality,

from a smaller independent trader who doesn't have to give a significant proportion of their profit margin to a third party living off the back of their hard work!

An EICR should be just a report on the condition of an installation with regard to its suitability for its ongoing safe use..

any remedial works required should be open to ANY contractor to undertake..

NOT just the contractor who did the EICR..

i.e.  The EICR should have sufficient information for any competent person to identify what remedial works are recommended..

IF the EICR lacks sufficient information the the EICR is not complete IMHO!

Guinness  
So I emailed again for more information and had a reply of  - 'Please see attached picture of light which need to be replaced, and the no continuity is on the ring main, sockets' Line and neutral. 

so narrowed it down to the ring main. Would that be considered sufficient information to identify the remedial work. Would that be enough information for another electrician to quote from ?

The light is one of those white dome shaped lights which was changed under the zone compliance a few years back, but can change this anyway no problem.

The No continuity on the ring main ! Would this not show up on the EICR schedule test result. ? See earlier Eicr.pdf file

Is this what the original C2 fail  - Inspection Schedule Item 5.17.1: Connections soundly made and under no undue strain (526.6) is in a potentially dangerous condition ,  relates to ?

It may seem pedantic but when you pay a lot of money for a report and the key info is held back just to get more work ... I even have my doubts if the faults are real.  

Thanks 

Well the test results S indicate that there is no fault on the ring as they have entered a valid value

their value of R1+R2 is suspect as from the results it should be about 1.5

their sizing of the earth wire on the 6mm is also,suspect at 4mm.    It's more usually 2.5

note that has been written with the assistance of a bottle of Merlot 🍷

So I emailed again for more information and had a reply of  - 'Please see attached picture of light which need to be replaced, and the no continuity is on the ring main, sockets' Line and neutral. 

The light is one of those white dome shaped lights which was changed under the zone compliance a few years back, but can change this anyway no problem.

It may seem pedantic but when you pay a lot of money for a report and the key info is held back just to get more work ... I even have my doubts if the faults are real.  

Thanks 

Theri own cert contradicts the 'ring main fault', and if the bathroom light was replaced only a few years ago, it's almost certainly 'bathroom compliant' .

I would concurr, the faults are imaginary money grabbing. 

My final thought is what is on the "end" of the garage circuit - if its a socket I would probably say its a C2 due to lack of RCD protection and if its a small fuseboard , there is another schedule missing

I think you should get a local independent spark to re-inspect (letting them see this "EICR"