Just found out Code 2 no Rcd is really a code 3!!!!!!!!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totallywhat

Reaction score
After being an electrician for 26 years I have just found out that it’s ok to pass an installation without Rcd protection!

im gob smacked!!

everything I’ve ever learnt has just need thrown out the window 

I’m now questions my knowledge as to what is going on 

how can it be that the No.1 life saving piece of equipment “RCD” not be potentially dangerous if not fitted in an installation 

To me it’s a C2 all day but that’s apparently not correct, it’s a huge debate, can’t quite believe it 

You can add 1 x Rcd double socket near a front/back door and only recommended the full Rcd 

To me it’s a C2 all day but that’s apparently not correct, it’s a huge debate, can’t quite believe it 

You can add 1 x Rcd double socket near a front/back door and only recommended the full Rcd 

Not sure I agree with that

BS 7288 products are no longer in BS 7671

Who is telling you it's a C3?

No RCD for buried cables is a C3

No RCD for sockets that can be used outdoors C2

No RCD for bathroom circuits (without supplementary bonding) C2.... if bonding is present C3

RCD sockets and fused spurs (ie BS7288 devices) are no longer in BS7671 as they do not afford additional protection

If I have to think about a particular code then I use the ESC best practice guide 4

So you can not add an Rcd fuse spur to a lighting circuit to overcome the “no Rcd” in a bathroom ?? 30ma is 30ma right ?? 

Im not having a go I’m questioning my own knowledge 

So you can not add an Rcd fuse spur to a lighting circuit to overcome the “no Rcd” in a bathroom ?? 30ma is 30ma right ?? 

Im not having a go I’m questioning my own knowledge 

BS 7288 products died when the 18th edition came into force over 2 years ago

No RCD for buried cables is a C3

110% agree 

Yet the Muppets at Napit code breakers state it's a C2

They really have caused a coding issue!

very mixed debate when you dig deep into it 

Ive been told that a 40-50 year old 3036 board can remain safe in use but to code 2  that there is no Rcd socket near any  external use 

a first floor flat can therefore for be left without any Rcd protection at all other then 4mm bonding or Rcd protection in a bathroom 

are you saying adding an Rcd fused spur to a bathroom is not good enough??

must be an actual Rcd within a board to cover this ??

sorry if I’m repeating myself again 

They really have caused a coding issue!

very mixed debate when you dig deep into it 

Ive been told that a 40-50 year old 3036 board can remain safe in use but to code 2  that there is no Rcd socket near any  external use 

a first floor flat can therefore for be left without any Rcd protection at all other then 4mm bonding or Rcd protection in a bathroom 

are you saying adding an Rcd fused spur to a bathroom is not good enough??

must be an actual Rcd within a board to cover this ??

sorry if I’m repeating myself again 

The long and the short of it is that BS7288 devices no longer comply with BS7671 as the do not offer additional protection... the only other option is to use BS61008 and BS61009 devices... if you use an appropriate enclosure and wiring method then you could put one of these outside a bathroom to get RCD protection

BS 7288 products died when the 18th edition came into force over 2 years ago

110% agree 

Yet the Muppets at Napit code breakers state it's a C2

Yeh... Codebreakers have a few random codings

Wow I’ve just been reading about the 7288’s

they were not included in the 18th at all

yet another huge debate!!!

ok so you have to fit 61008/61009 in order to comply now, I’m reading it loud and clear 

I should have been a plumber 

Just for the record 

what page is the listing of bs numbers 

page 352 listing only 61008 and 61009 ?

Agreed,  I’d stand firm that those well made wooden highly combustible wylex numbers are a fire hazard 

potentially dangerous 

“potentially ” is a also a dangerous word In itself 

Potentially-with the capacity to develop or happen in the future.

The long and the short of it is that BS7288 devices no longer comply with BS7671 as the do not offer additional protection... the only other option is to use BS61008 and BS61009 devices... if you use an appropriate enclosure and wiring method then you could put one of these outside a bathroom to get RCD protection

Yeh... Codebreakers have a few random codings

I don't think they are random.

Not a 7288 in sight 

And ask yourself who gains the most by excluding them? 

BS7288 not included in 7671 but in GN8 they're recommended. This is a new GN8 that has allegedly been updated to be inline with 18th edition.

More disorganised chaos and miss misinformation then.

Nonsense

If the people writing the books can't get it right, how on earth are we supposed to keep up?