Glanding SWA

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
When you are not using the steel wire as the CPC then am I right in thinking you just need to gland at the supply end ? It’s probably best to do it at both ends but I think supply end is sufficient. Obviously if steel wire is CPC then both ends need to be. 

I can’t remember when I last TTed an outbuilding but I always gland both ends even if I’m not using the outer as the cpc. 

Belt and braces and all that 

both ends need terminated correctly however you wont need to connect the supply end to the earth terminal if a core has been used as cpc although its good practice to

both ends need terminated correctly however you wont need to connect the supply end to the earth terminal if a core has been used as cpc although its good practice to
I disagree with that.

The swa must always be connected to the means of earthing at the supply end.

Needs to be glanded correctly at both ends! Regardless of the type of installation. 

Having the load end gland connected to something conductive is however, dependent on installation. 

I should have rephrased my question. Does it need to be banjoed or piranha nutted at both ends. But yeah I get your views it’s probably best to do it at both ends. 

I should have rephrased my question. Does it need to be banjoed or piranha nutted at both ends. But yeah I get your views it’s probably best to do it at both ends. 
it's the only way to correctly terminate the cable, otherwise you end up with spiky bits of wire that could pierce / damage the insulation of the conductors - if nit earthing, then the banjo / piranha nut is probably surplus to requirement, just pust the gland nut on.