How to turn chased in back box to surface box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamoggy

Reaction score
So I have a 3-gang light switch chased into the wall. Only one switch being used. 
I need to bring this out into a 1-gang surface switch plate so I can get trunking into it. 
the room is grade 1 listed so can’t go chasing as it’s also a hospital. Basically going to make it 2-way. 
I can’t just fit a single box on the 3 gang chased box as it’ll leave a massive hole. 
many ideas on this one?

A 1G switch fits the same size box as a 3G switch so just fill the surface box with cement or plaster and fix the surface box.

Or are you proposing an architrave switch?  Same applies fill in the old box hole and fit the new box.

the switch front plate fixing holes are the same distance apart on all 1 gang plates, so the flush back box and the surface box have the front plate hole's in the same place, i would punch out the surface box taped holes and use long 3.5 mm screws from the front plate to the flush back box 

the switch front plate fixing holes are the same distance apart on all 1 gang plates, so the flush back box and the surface box have the front plate hole's in the same place, i would punch out the surface box taped holes and use long 3.5 mm screws from the front plate to the flush back box 
The flushed back box is a 3-gang box so a 1-gang surface box wouldn’t be able to do this

The flushed back box is a 3-gang box so a 1-gang surface box wouldn’t be able to do this
I did not konw they did a three gang back box for switches, I have seen them for sockets, is it,  a three gang socket or is it a switch? 

Normally three gang switches fit onto a one gang back box ,unless you use a grid type switch then it's a two gang or twin back box 

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever the actual sizes, put a flat metal blank on the larger flush box, cut a hole for the cables, and screw the surface box on with two self tappers.  Or am I missing something?

Whatever the actual sizes, put a flat metal blank on the larger flush box, cut a hole for the cables, and screw the surface box on with two self tappers.  Or am I missing something?
I don't think you are missing anything ,it is that simple 

Why not save a lot of hassle and work and use Quinetic switches & a receiver... get whatever grid frames and plates to suit the backbox
Tried that but the light is a 60w 1200 x 600 panel and drivers won’t dim it that size

It’s a 3-gang grid plate. 1 switch and 2 blanked out
Why do you need to fit a single backbox?

If you only need to get it to take trunking then,

Why not fit a twin surface by knocking out the taped holes and useing long 3.5mm to hold the grid in place 

Or a twin skeleton backbox this would  do the same job

Why do you need to fit a single backbox?

If you only need to get it to take trunking then,

Why not fit a twin surface by knocking out the taped holes and useing long 3.5mm to hold the grid in place 

Or a twin skeleton backbox this would  do the same job
Ok, so if I did that, and put a twin surface box in, what’s the best answer to give me one switch in the twin box? Would a grid frame fit?