SEISS are we being sold short?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So we have so far had THREE SEISS grants, and I always believed a 4th was due any time now.

I have just had an email stating that following the budget today, the SEISS grant scheme will be extended until September with a 4th grant in April and a 5th grant in July.

So did i imagine the 4th grant being available in March?  and we should have been getting a 5th and 6th grant if it was to keep up with and match the Furlough scheme?

I also had the email....

Isn't there a subtle difference between the time period the grant covers...

and the earliest you can actually apply?

I also note the Tax-Years its calculate from has been shifted to include year end 2020.....

I do need to crunch some numbers on some spreadsheets..

to see how my monthly figures are comparing to previous averages...

Since Feb 2021,  I currently guess I am pretty much 90%+ of my average workload/jobs/turnover.. etc..

But I would need to verify that from my various Excel, Customer & Jobs data files that I keep hold of for HHRC!! 

Basically at the moment I am pretty much as busy as normal..

:popcorn

The way I've understood it they usually band it in 3 month periods so the grant in april will be to cover the months march to june. You could only claim the third grant from the end of november to january but it was for the period including october (I think). I may be wrong though and there are still months missing, like february. 

I notice they are now including those who registered as self employed 2019-2020 who were excluded from the previous grant and left high and dry. 

Yes, but there is no denying the headline "the SEISS scheme has been extended 6 months to September" actually means "There will be just 1 extra payment that covers a 3 month period"

At best a little devious don't you think?

Absolutely, but wouldn't expect anything else, in the same way that when this is looked back on in the next few years it'll all be how great the gov were at vaccinating the nation whilst the worst death toll in the world will be glossed over and barely mentioned. 

I notice they are now including those who registered as self employed 2019-2020 who were excluded from the previous grant and left high and dry. 

I laughed at that, what business makes money in the first year after all the start up costs? As the grant is based on declared 'profit', they will get firk all! Mind you I get firk all, because my accountant seems good at  making any profits disappear  :innocent .

I laughed at that, what business makes money in the first year after all the start up costs? As the grant is based on declared 'profit', they will get firk all! Mind you I get firk all, because my accountant seems good at  making any profits disappear  :innocent .

True, hadn't even thought of that. 

Yes, but there is no denying the headline "the SEISS scheme has been extended 6 months to September" actually means "There will be just 1 extra payment that covers a 3 month period"

At best a little devious don't you think?

creative probably 

the only time I've not been flat out since last July was when the misses tested positive and I had 10 days at home - so I tried to claim the £500 but as we don't get any benefit we were rejected and I thought that claiming the SEISS was taking the pxss

Lucky you lot, I have not been entitled to anything and a lot of things that I would have done were postponed so I lost tons of work!

#Forgotten

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been a lot of people who have fallen through the net unfortunately and have been entitled to nothing, way too many of them.

That is unless of course they happened to know an MP and were able to secure a lucrative PPE supply contract or a contract to develop a useless app, but as per usual when it comes to supporting the people on the ground or rather that lack of support "it's just an illustration of how bad this pandemic has been and the financial costs the country has had to bear". It's just another "there is no magic money tree".... but here's a billion pounds to keep us in power.

The "new super extended" SEISS will take into account your 2019/20 income as well.

This may have a negative effect for me as my earned income has been gradually falling while my unearned income (pension and rental income) has been rising.  I haven't done the sums but it may be that taking the latest figures I find my unearned income exceeds my earned income then I will get nothing.  It was a close calculation on the old figures not taking the latest years income into consideration.

Just 2 more years now and I will be drawing my biggest pension and can give up all this working for a living lark.

Last edited by a moderator: