EICR help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big dad

Reaction score
Can the Consumer Unit regulations be applied retrospectively? 
The unit was marked at C2(dangerous) during the recent Domestic Electric Installation Condition report (EICR). 

Also claimed that there is no RCD for the  downstairs sockets , which there is in the consumer box.
Also marked as C2 was a additional RCD which is for the shower unit, the report claims that is not fitted. 
I never had any problems with electricity in 30 years I lived in this 3 -bedroom house from new. 
Do I need to replace something which is working just fine?

Post a picture of your consumer unit. you probably need to post it on an image hosing site and post a link to it.

If you are saying your consumer unit is 30 years old there is a very good chance that it needs some updating.

Hi,

i have pictures but the system won't let me post until I do 5 posts.

the consumer unit is 15 years old and the shower one is 10 years

Can the Consumer Unit regulations be applied retrospectively? 
no they can’t but sadly lots of people think they are the electrical police and hand out C2 codes like sweets at a kids party

in many cases a C3 is appropriate

get you post count up to 10 then you should be able to post a photo of the fuseboard 

are you a tenant or home owner

Forum anti spam rule won't let new users upload photos to the forum.  Post them on an image hosting site and post some links.

or make some more posts?

describe the original consumer unit, metal, plastic? mcb;s or fuses?  any RCD etc

Same for the newer shower unit.

Hi,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area - I also have an EICR question and I'm new to the forum.

I'm not an electrician - I work with small PCBs which obviously isn't much use in the EICR arena!

A family member is being moved into care and in the short term we are going to rent out the flat whilst we work out various ins and outs.

We asked a letting agent to take care of most of it as travelling back and forth to the NE during lockdown isn't possible. They contracted an electrician to carry out an EICR.  He failed the property as the "board is not in line with current specifications" and the "smokes, lights and heater not connected to RCD".  The charge for remedial work is £952 + VAT (that includes replacing a 1m length of flex to the boiler which is showing signs of scorching from a hot pipe its been pushed up against).  The letting agent are not being very helpful and have resisted getting another quote and have said the electrician will not answer further questions as it is all in the report.  The report largely consists of ticks and one word answers. The letting agents are trying to strong arm me into immediate payment as if it isn't fixed in 30 days I'll be committing a crime - according to them.  Stuck a little as I can't travel to look at it myself due to lockdown. 

The flat is only 15 years old - I can't believe that an unsafe panel was installed in 2005.  Also looking at the panel, I'm seeing an RCD but it isn't clear what it is attached to. I've attached a picture.Picture

The questions I have:

1. Does the "smokes, lights and heating" need an RCD?

2. What is the RCD for that is already in the panel? (Probably difficult to tell without being there)

3.  Does the panel look unsafe or obviously outdated?

4.  If the "smokes, lights and heating" do need an RCD - why can't the RCDs be fitted without having to replace the whole panel as we've been quoted for?

5.  Finally does the price quoted sound reasonable?  

Thank you for all your help.

Hi,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area - I also have an EICR question and I'm new to the forum.

I'm not an electrician - I work with small PCBs which obviously isn't much use in the EICR arena!

A family member is being moved into care and in the short term we are going to rent out the flat whilst we work out various ins and outs.

We asked a letting agent to take care of most of it as travelling back and forth to the NE during lockdown isn't possible. They contracted an electrician to carry out an EICR.  He failed the property as the "board is not in line with current specifications" and the "smokes, lights and heater not connected to RCD".  The charge for remedial work is £952 + VAT (that includes replacing a 1m length of flex to the boiler which is showing signs of scorching from a hot pipe its been pushed up against).  The letting agent are not being very helpful and have resisted getting another quote and have said the electrician will not answer further questions as it is all in the report.  The report largely consists of ticks and one word answers. The letting agents are trying to strong arm me into immediate payment as if it isn't fixed in 30 days I'll be committing a crime - according to them.  Stuck a little as I can't travel to look at it myself due to lockdown. 

The flat is only 15 years old - I can't believe that an unsafe panel was installed in 2005.  Also looking at the panel, I'm seeing an RCD but it isn't clear what it is attached to. I've attached a picture.Picture

The questions I have:

1. Does the "smokes, lights and heating" need an RCD?

2. What is the RCD for that is already in the panel? (Probably difficult to tell without being there)

3.  Does the panel look unsafe or obviously outdated?

4.  If the "smokes, lights and heating" do need an RCD - why can't the RCDs be fitted without having to replace the whole panel as we've been quoted for?

5.  Finally does the price quoted sound reasonable?  

This home was built to the 16th edition of bs 7671 and the lights etc should only be a C3 IMHO

google electrical safety council best practice guide no 4 issue 5 and take a read.

Unfortunately too many sparks are inspecting to the 18th edition and using C2 when it should be C3

there is a book by NAPIT called code breakers which is used incorrectly by many and is used as the gospel

Last edited by a moderator:
The letting agents are trying to strong arm me into immediate payment as if it isn't fixed in 30 days I'll be committing a crime
Let them try... Ask them exactly where it is written you'll be breaking the law.

The charge for remedial work is £952 + VAT

Finally does the price quoted sound reasonable?  

About as reasonable as a double glazing salesman.

Nothing wrong with that board in my opinion. Get an independent sparky in, or post the rough where abouts here and perhaps one of the forum members may be abe to help.

TBH this fiasco of EICRs is down to some MPs and a committee chaired by ex NICEIC CEO Emma Clancy

talk about not being able to organise a party in a brewery

then the CPS’s have muddied the waters further

I’m embarrassed to be a spark these days given how clueless the industry has become

Let them try... Ask them exactly where it is written you'll be breaking the law.

thatll be 3 (4) (a) here... https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/312/part/2/made

(4) Where a report under sub-paragraph (3)(a) indicates that a private landlord is or is potentially in breach of the duty under sub-paragraph (1)(a) and the report requires the private landlord to undertake further investigative or remedial work, the private landlord must ensure that further investigative or remedial work is carried out by a qualified person within—

(a)28 days; or

thatll be 3 (4) (a) here... https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/312/part/2/made

(4) Where a report under sub-paragraph (3)(a) indicates that a private landlord is or is potentially in breach of the duty under sub-paragraph (1)(a) and the report requires the private landlord to undertake further investigative or remedial work, the private landlord must ensure that further investigative or remedial work is carried out by a qualified person within—

(a)28 days; or
I read it that there are no tenets at this point. Given that the OP is only looking at renting it out and has approached a letting agent for advice are they technically deemed as a landlord yet? No law applies here yet?  

I suspect the fact that the letting agent has said 30days not 28, relates more to the fact the my pay on 30days to said electrician ?? 

I would advise letting agents that you are seeking a second opinion from an independent electrician as you have been offered differing advice.  

Bin the agent, bin the spark would be my advice. 

Pound to a penny it'll be a peanuts EICR and they're making up the loss on the EICR in remedial works. An EICR should be written so that any spark following on can work out what remedial work needs to be done. 

TBH this fiasco of EICRs is down to some MPs and a committee chaired by ex NICEIC CEO Emma Clancy

talk about not being able to organise a party in a brewery

then the CPS’s have muddied the waters further
While some blame can be placed with Clancy and her committee aided and abetted by the MP's,  you have also have to blame the City & Guilds if it had maintained the original entry requirements for the 2382 and 2391 exams and the CPS's only accepted full qualifications then the quick training companies wouldn't have flourished and we would not have the problem we have now where it's train this week carry out EICR's next week

I think it is time that C&G either abolish the 2391 and put it's content into the core qualifications or it makes sure the exam entry requirements are properly met

I’m embarrassed to be a spark these days given how clueless the industry has become
I feel exactly the same every dodgy EICR posted on the forums just adds to the depression

I feel exactly the same every dodgy EICR posted on the forums just adds to the depression

I had to inspect a flat recently for a client who's son was making his first purchase - the estate agent let me in and was "astonished" when I said I would be 2.5 hours minimum - he's used to the sub 1 hour brigade!