Switchable PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerbera1971

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an integral garage which has a PIR connected to the burglar alarm. I want to fit an electric garage door opener but with having to come into the house first to switch off the alarm it's kind of pointless.

I've looked at the konnected system to turn my alarm into a 'smart' alarm, but reviews say it can be troublesome.

So I was wondering if I could wire a remote switch into the sensor that is operated on opening and closing the garage door. 

I'd this a possibility?

Good answer, thanks. 

But the idea of fitting a garage door opener is so that I can drive straight in when I get home and I'm looking for a way to do this without getting out of the car to disable the alarm, hence the thought of a switchable PIR.

I guess I can quickly mock up a test switch into the PIR and give it s go.

So the garage is protected by a PIR not a door contact?

How long do you need to get out of the car once you drive in?

Can the garage zone be programmed as an entry/exit zone with maximum delay before triggering panel,

giving you time to get out of the car and disable the alarm?

OR..

can your alarm system use key-fobs to activate/deactivate the alarm?  

What is the probability that someone will open the garage door as a point of access to the property?

Good answer, thanks. 

But the idea of fitting a garage door opener is so that I can drive straight in when I get home and I'm looking for a way to do this without getting out of the car to disable the alarm, hence the thought of a switchable PIR.

I guess I can quickly mock up a test switch into the PIR and give it s go.

many alarms have apps so you can control them from your phone. and likes of texecom can have a remote control to arm/disarm

what you are proposing is unliky to conform to standards, so if anything did happen and insurance looked at the alarm, they would be using that as an excuse to not pay out

Thanks for all the replies.

I believe it's very difficult to fully open a garage door connected to an opener and the switch would only be activated upon full opening. If that was achieved by the intruders I guess they'd shut the door to work in piece which would reactivate the PIR.

That said, adding the garage PIR onto the entry exit zone is a better idea and so simple, don't know why I didn't think of that 🤦‍♂️