Continuous 7200W power draw

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I need a way to be able to continuously draw (24/7) 1800W from four separate plugs in the same room in my house. At the moment, I only have two plugs in that room, so I was considering having an electrician replacing them with dual sockets (or installing two more single sockets) to handle the load.

However, I'm pretty sure this would overload the circuit as I think it only has a maximum of 20A. I do, however, have a cooker circuit that has never been used since we have a gas oven. Would it be possible to "siphon" some of that circuit by installing some cables that would allow me to pull 3600W from the regular circuit, and then the same from the cooker circuit?

If not, is there any other way to do this safely?

I'm not very knowledgeable about these things so any help would be massively appreciated.

Just to be clear, you want to plug in 4 appliances in the same room,. each one drawing 1800W continuously, so a total of 7200W continuously in the same room?

That's 32A continuously.

That is going to get hot. in that room.  Just what is it you want to plug in (I can make some guesses but do not want to speculate)

You need a site visit from a local competent spark to review.... but as Dave says this is a very unusual requirement so other considerations must be reviewed 

why the 24 x 7 load ?

Just to be clear, you want to plug in 4 appliances in the same room,. each one drawing 1800W continuously, so a total of 7200W continuously in the same room?

That's 32A continuously.

That is going to get hot. in that room.  Just what is it you want to plug in (I can make some guesses but do not want to speculate)

Yes, that's correct, 4*1800W for a total of 7200W.

The room is already adequately ventilated. I am installing various different servers, which is why they need to be kept on for 24 hours a day (other than a daily restart), and their power draw works out (roughly) at 1800W/server because of their equipment and fans.

Once installed, I'll be able to monitor the temperature, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Your incoming supply will need to be assessed too. If you're on a 60a fuse for example your added load plus the existing house demand may well exceed your supply. 

Thanks everyone, I'll get a local electrician to assess the incoming supply and see if it is possible to make a dedicated circuit.

Assuming the supply is all good..

and what you want is 'do-able'..

make sure these dedicated circuits DONT share an RCD with other parts of the property...

You don't want the whole lot loosing power due to an intermittent fault on the kettle or fridge/freezer!!

May need some Consumer Unit upgrade/alterations...

Some built in surge protection could be a useful investment as well if you have some expensive kit plugged in live 24/7.

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts