Zs Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Today i was told that to take a Zs reading i am supposed to disconnect the bonding conductors, at college we were always told to replace the bonding conductors before carrying out the test and this is what GN3 says.

I was then told that this is wrong and that GN3 is wrong.

Now im confused.

Zs should be carried out with the bonding in place, Ze should done with all bonding removed.

D

Hi Jono D has it right....First test is Ze with main earth conductor completely isolated from the D.B....Power off of course........Replace the Main Earth conductor...power up and Zs can be measured...all bonding in place.

Who is telling you different ?

a1spark

Hi Jono D has it right....First test is Ze with main earth conductor completely isolated from the D.B....Power off of course........Replace the Main Earth conductor...power up and Zs can be measured...all bonding in place.Who is telling you different ?

a1spark
Spark in charge of the site im on, same person who proceeded to slate me for checking what GN3 said.

Spark in charge of the site im on, same person who proceeded to slate me for checking what GN3 said.
Ask him if he will be signinig the E.I.Cs /P.I.R.

If its you signing then make sure you do it the right way !

a1spark

all the tests are in gn3 with pretty pictures i would photo copy it and stick it on the office wall next to his chair ..

These are the people who really really annoy me.

He is in charge and giving incorrect information to people?

How many homes, factories, shops has he incorrectly tested over the years?

Is he actually qualified?

Does he sleep at night?

Can you get him onto the forum so we could educate him?

Do not listen to these people Jono they will always leave you headbang

Always go with your training and what it says in the BRB.

If he fails in his duties dont follow suit.

Im just glad that there are places like this where people can go for help and advice from a vast range of professional helpful people. Hopefully one day i will be one of those and return the favor. Until then Guiness Drink

Im just glad that there are places like this where people can go for help and advice from a vast range of professional helpful people. Hopefully one day i will be one of those and return the favor. Until then Guiness Drink
You already do help!

Your everyday experiances help those who have yet to experiance.

Your questions help those who have yet to ask.

So you are returning a favour, and helping others.

Applaud Smiley Applaud Smiley to all on this post, This guy who is feeding the wrong info has probably being doing it this way all his life and passing on wrong info to all that will listen (scary thought). It shows what sort of person he is when he will not listen when you pointed out what GN3 said and to say it is wrong headbang , Jono keep up the good work and stick to ya guns on this Applaud Smiley please lets us know what the out come is when the certs are completed.

The amount of leckys that dont actually do PIRs properly is amazing. Ive seen them done in around 10mins. Many dont bother with any ring cct tests, and even more dont bother with insulation tests, they just put down >200. Bosses also expect them done in less than 2 hrs regardless of the property.

i dont do many PIRs because people think its too expensive and some other bloke can do it for less. i know i charge more, but thats because i do test the place properly and it takes more than 2 hours!

Zs should be with bonding and main earthing conductor in place as the installation is live when you take your measurement . I would follow what GN3 says just like conforming to BS7671 in general. It's your only defence should a problem arise. ohms

interesting reading this, trying to get business and people are doing pir eicrs for 80 quid 1 to 2 hours really. 3 bed all tests is a day for sure plus paperwork at home ??? yes

This is dug from the archives!

3 bed all tests is a day for sure plus paperwork at home

Don't know about a full day, depends on how much is in it and whether it is occupied or not. I have done PIR's in a couple of hours, I've also spent all day doing them.