How to handle solar 'salvage'?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterS2

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm new to the forum, please let me know the best place to ask this question (if not here).

Some buildings near me have been bought by the council and are scheduled for dereliction.

They have nominally agreed to let me take the panels for a local school solar project, however, there are two main issues that we need to resolve:

1. Liability for any issues resulting from the use of the panels.
  2. Fulfilling their Waste management requirements vis. 'disposing' of the panels.

I'm planning to involve a professional solar installation company to remove / refit the panels and I guess they will be able to help with both of the above, but any information on the above would be very useful!

All the best,
Peter

Flog used panels on e-bay. Lots of people are after cheap panels.  :^O

Panels suppossedly have  a life of about 30+ years, so as long as they are working before you commence works, they should be fine. Try not to be too rough when handling the panels, especially avoid scratching the glass front, or the back sheet, and you will be fine. If you reinstall these panles / frames, then clearly you are liable for the safety of the installation, or the company you hire to install them. Every installation should be tested and a commissioning sheet produced, again your solar company should do this. I wouldn't  offer  more than a 1 year warranty on the system, it is after all second hand parts.

Panel disposal is a problem, I think there is only 1 company doing this in the UK and recycling the panels, but if you have a lot of panels that should be of interest to them, and they will be abe to give you certificate of disposal. I don't know of anything that says you can't take panels to regular landfill site fi you use a licensed waste carrier? 

As for removal, that's simple. Shut down the inverter AC and DC isolators - when 'stalled' you won't get any arcing when disconnecting the panels. Buy yourself some MC4 spanners, the prongs help disconnect the MC4 connectors. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143776709184?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=143776709184&targetid=1140163974369&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045313&poi=&campaignid=12128875573&mkgroupid=119799614787&rlsatarget=pla-1140163974369&abcId=9300481&merchantid=345817305&gclid=CjwKCAjw6fCCBhBNEiwAem5SO1nuz4mQrPgOgDoByqPpJF-5rbgTs75o7cYQ9m6k9KSLvKYSZta5phoCXOcQAvD_BwE

The rails and roof hooks are simple enough to remove for anyone with a basic understanding of nuts and bolts. I would not be looking to reuse the old framework, for there can lie a rats-nest of nastiness. Lots of installations were bodged in by lettuced contractors using gear you can no longer get spares for. It's far simpler to buy new and dispose of old gear via a local scrap merchant. 

Fantastic, thanks so much for this info 🙂

Looking at google earth, the panels look to be about 10 years old, and given that there are 15 connected to a 3k inverter (times 2), they are (or were ;-) 200w panels.

Seems a great shame to waste them, but someone mentioned that a new panel will generate 370w and costs about 100 GBP... this means that the 30 panels could be replaced for 3,000 GBP, and the cost of having the installation professionally done (plus buying new inverters to meet the new spec) means that it seems like a lot of work for not much saving... Not sure though... What would you pay for having 30 panels professionally installed? Just the labour I mean?

Perhaps it's worth while afterall 😉

Many thanks,

Peter

Seems a great shame to waste them, but someone mentioned that a new panel will generate 370w and costs about 100 GBP...
 I've just fitted a set of 495W panels at £110 + VAT each - can't say I like those much as they have got the wattage up by making the panels effing big! 

30 panels at say 400W which is 12kW on a single 3 phase inverter like Solis could be had for less than £10k fitted. Reckon I could do it for about £8k, + scaffolding,  but I'm a one man band and cheaper than most of the other companies.