DIY on on on Switch HELP!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merseymale

Reaction score
Hi!

I’m looking for a three-way toggle switch which can send three different resistors through a circuit depending on which position the switches in

Is there such a thing?
Thanks in Advance!

There are three position toggle switches, often described as ON - OFF - ON.  Tell us what you are tying to do and we may be able to help. 
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I’m trying to replace a potentiometer that, depending on the resistance value, sends information to the rest of the circuit…

The idea of the original circuit is if you turn the pot on way you will get one set sound on an electronic musical instrument and if you turn it another way you get another sound; in the centre you get a blend of the two & all shades in between when you move it back and forth

I just want the three sounds: the two extremes and the mix in the middle

This is an active electronics item and not a ‘passive panning’ between two guitar pick ups

thanks!

Sounds like you need a 3 position switch for individual selection of resistance? 
If so google three position switch. 
Thanks 

That’s certainly correct but I have obviously done that before posting and there are so many variables which link the solder contacts in a myriad of ways

-not EVERY toggle switch will do!

what I need is the equivalent of three single throw on/off switches that, when you flick one on, the other two will always be off but what do I call such a switch so I can search for it?

Not all triple throw switches are made equal😉!

The idea of the original circuit is if you turn the pot on way you will get one set sound on an electronic musical instrument and if you turn it another way you get another sound; in the centre you get a blend of the two & all shades in between when you move it back and forth

I just want the three sounds: the two extremes and the mix in the middle

OK, I think I understand what you are trying to do. I'm not aware of a TOGGLE switch which can exactly represent a potentiometer like that. There are plenty of suitable rotary switches. Would that be acceptable?

OK, I think I understand what you are trying to do. I'm not aware of a TOGGLE switch which can exactly represent a potentiometer like that. There are plenty of suitable rotary switches. Would that be acceptable?
Thanks for replying, to be honest, I am already replacing a “pan pot” with this miracle switch(!) so that’s a kind of a ‘rotary switch’ already but with no definite extremes and that’s sort of being counterintuitive in operation to me and I’d much rather just have a switch however the rotary switch will have to do I guess if there’s absolutely no way that any kind of lever or toggle is available or that at least can be customised in some way?

s if there’s absolutely no way that any kind of lever or toggle is available or that at least can be customised in some way?
I can't say that there isn't such a device, only that I don't know of it.

I can think of a way, with a toggle switch, which MAY work OK but would present a lower impedance to the circuits driving the potentiometer. Obviously I have no knowledge of those circuits.

If you want to try it get a switch like this example:-  https://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/1md3t6b11m1qe/switch-dpdt/dp/SW02869?st=toggle switch#  You only need to wire one side of it.

Get two resistors half the value of the potentiometer and wire these between the central terminal and each outer terminal of the switch.

Transfer  the wires from the potentiometer, centre to centre, outer to outer.

This arrangement will appear (electrically) to the amplifier it's feeding exactly like the potentiometer, BUT will present a reduced resistance to the circuit which is driving the potentiometer.  

An alternative compromise with this arrangement  is to use resistors the same value as the potentiometer..

Given that resistors are a few pence each you could try both and see which works best. You are unlikely to do any harm; it just may not separate or mix the signals as well as at present.

No promises!  This is guesswork!

Do you want it to mimic the action of a potentiometer?  i.e. you NEED all 3 connections?

Or do you want it to be just 2 connections to something that mimics a variable resistor?

I can't say that there isn't such a device, only that I don't know of it.

I can think of a way, with a toggle switch, which MAY work OK but would present a lower impedance to the circuits driving the potentiometer. Obviously I have no knowledge of those circuits.

If you want to try it get a switch like this example:-  https://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/1md3t6b11m1qe/switch-dpdt/dp/SW02869?st=toggle switch#  You only need to wire one side of it.

Get two resistors half the value of the potentiometer and wire these between the central terminal and each outer terminal of the switch.

Transfer  the wires from the potentiometer, centre to centre, outer to outer.

This arrangement will appear (electrically) to the amplifier it's feeding exactly like the potentiometer, BUT will present a reduced resistance to the circuit which is driving the potentiometer.  

An alternative compromise with this arrangement  is to use resistors the same value as the potentiometer..

Given that resistors are a few pence each you could try both and see which works best. You are unlikely to do any harm; it just may not separate or mix the signals as well as at present.

No promises!  This is guesswork!
Thanks for your valuable help, knowledge and time

I’ve been asking around a lot about this and so far people have said that an on off on switch definitely wouldn’t work & that I would need to find an on on on switch

I’m hoping you are right though because all the on on on switches I’ve seen seem to be extremely expensive in comparison to on off on switches

Do you want it to mimic the action of a potentiometer?  i.e. you NEED all 3 connections?

Or do you want it to be just 2 connections to something that mimics a variable resistor?
Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it.

I was under the impression that a potentiometer with a resistor attached to ground would be the same as a variable resistor in many ways...?

I need a switching device that presents three and three only resistances and one of them to be zero resistance

Last edited by a moderator: