Who needs the complications of BS 7671 when you want an EV point

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This comes from a local chat site.

"Be interesting to know what the government grant is when you bare in mind all the extras you have to pay for. The "High Power Extension Lead" does not cost that much so who is making money out of it and the fitting well 4 screws and 3 wires" 

The "high power" extension lead this chap is referring to is selling for about £250

Glad I haven't done a course or bought the option for my new MFT

So the IET can mess around with all sorts of regs and rules and courses, but with thoughts like this AND the fact that EV resellers will pretty much sell to anyone I think the DIY install will become the norm.

Oh dear 

But in the real world, how much work is ACTUALLY involved in fitting an EV charge point, even when you abide by the regs and test it properly.

Then how much will someone doing the job on a government grant scheme actually charge?

I suspect there will be a big difference.  Just like any grant scheme, MCS, RHI etc etc.

Was looking at a job today and this is the lower level of the CU:

ev.jpg

Who puts that many circuits on a RCD these days and look at the labels - they are accurate too.

But in the real world, how much work is ACTUALLY involved in fitting an EV charge point, even when you abide by the regs and test it properly.

Then how much will someone doing the job on a government grant scheme actually charge?

I suspect there will be a big difference.  Just like any grant scheme, MCS, RHI etc etc.

OK..... so .... I'm an OZEV approved installer

The last charge point that I did took maybe 5 hours to install, commission and test..... but that did include a dedicated CU (with SPD) and a run through a stone wall and maybe 8m in a trench (customer dug that with his mini digger :) ) to a stainless post (that he also sourced and set)

It was a tethered Zappi 2 with a hub, Harvi and 2 CT clamps which I set up at home... I also updated the firmware.

The total cost of this install was £220 above retail..... I should get the grant payment of £350 in maybe 50 to 60 days after the end of April 

Oh.... and the compliance software costs £20+ VAT per install

Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 21.26.31.png

Last edited by a moderator: