WOW.... just .... WOW

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Just install a double 13A outside socket from a spur what could possibly go wrong.........

But this highlights the issue as far as joe public is concerned.  Why do car chargers have to be so complicated and expensive to install?

This could be solved by a "car charger" being nothing more than a properly install 32A commando socket into which the cars own charging lead plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just install a double 13A outside socket from a spur what could possibly go wrong.........

But this highlights the issue as far as joe public is concerned.  Why do car chargers have to be so complicated and expensive to install?

This could be solved by a "car charger" being nothing more than a properly install 32A commando socket into which the cars own charging lead plugs.

I see this option touted all the time on some of the EV forums that I'm a member of..... "Just get an electrician to fit a 32A Commando socket and then get a OHME charger, should only cost £50"

However, they don't take into account PEN protection or DC RCD protection.... so by the time a Matt-e (type) device is fitted it's closer to the cost of a proper charge point

I see this option touted all the time on some of the EV forums that I'm a member of..... "Just get an electrician to fit a 32A Commando socket and then get a OHME charger, should only cost £50"

However, they don't take into account PEN protection or DC RCD protection.... so by the time a Matt-e (type) device is fitted it's closer to the cost of a proper charge point
But I see this as an industry failing.  The general public don't see the problem.  If a suitable charger that was designed to work from a 32A commando, regardless of it's earthing, was supplied with every car, then for the public it would be simpler, and that probably would mean a lot less bodged unsafe chargers in use.

I wonder if those two plugs are just connected together.
Probably.  The new "Widdow maker"

i wonder how many use this with only one plugged in?

I think I'm a member of the same group as I saw this posted earlier. 

You'd hope there'd be some kind of protection to stop it becoming a widow maker if only the one plug is used but I wouldn't put money on it. 

Isn't it this kind of thing that amazon and the likes of were supposed to be stopping selling because they're such reputable suppliers  :innocent

I think I'm a member of the same group as I saw this posted earlier. 

You'd hope there'd be some kind of protection to stop it becoming a widow maker if only the one plug is used but I wouldn't put money on it. 

Isn't it this kind of thing that amazon and the likes of were supposed to be stopping selling because they're such reputable suppliers  :innocent
Haaa..... well, I’m easy to spot as I use the same avatar on both🤣

I am more interested in what our governing safety bodies have to say about this? 

Its nothing to do with them and I bet the IET won't do SFA either

The UK needs to grow a backbone and make such parts MANDATORY compliance with a UK standard - its NOT up to us to police this and as for "industry" know it alls - they want to make it so only "approved people" can do installs - well, that ship has well and truly sailed.

I doubt it.... this will be pitched at the domestic market
the socket on the adapter is suitable for 3 phase - its possible that 1 plug is connected to L1 and the other to L2. still wrong, but at least it means if only one plug is plugged in, the live pin on the other wont be live. i hope

the socket on the adapter is suitable for 3 phase - its possible that 1 plug is connected to L1 and the other to L2. still wrong, but at least it means if only one plug is plugged in, the live pin on the other wont be live. i hope

Unless you encounter a reverse polarity socket!

I must admit that was my first thought too, but then I think the chargers in a lot of vehicles only make use of L1, some can make use of all three, but as you say...  what the control logic would make of being presented with one phase missing and the other two the same phase is anyones guess.

I'd like to think it checks that both are plugged in before connecting them together, but even if it does, if one plug is pulled out can it detect that and disconnect it, I'm sure its possible, but its a lot harder than just doing the first bit which could be done with a couple of relays

I can see a lot of burnt out double sockets if these become popular..

(bit like having the washing machine & tumble drier on the same double socket to me?)

Who's that bod on You-Tube who dismantles electrical gubbins, then does a video of what he finds inside them....

(think he has a Scottish accent?)

Need to send him a link to one of these for a full You-Tube dissection I think.

Guinness