knackered grill element

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a couple like that recently, they don't seem to put as much support around the element these days so they quite often distort when used

I've seen a couple like that recently, they don't seem to put as much support around the element these days so they quite often distort when used
That strikes a note with me. I have a fairly expensive AEG cooker and some of the design and engineering falls far short of what I would expect. 

At about 3 years old I noticed that the top oven/grill element was getting lower. On investigation it is supported by a single central bracket, attached to the thin sheet metal of the cavity by a small self tapping screw. To my dismay this had caused a large hole, the size of the bracket to corrode in the oven roof. 

Fortunately, being my appliance and my time, I was able to strip the thing right down and rivet in a repair plate from above but otherwise this penny pinching design would have caused the very premature write off of an expensive appliance 

That strikes a note with me. I have a fairly expensive AEG cooker and some of the design and engineering falls far short of what I would expect. 

At about 3 years old I noticed that the top oven/grill element was getting lower. On investigation it is supported by a single central bracket, attached to the thin sheet metal of the cavity by a small self tapping screw. To my dismay this had caused a large hole, the size of the bracket to corrode in the oven roof. 

Fortunately, being my appliance and my time, I was able to strip the thing right down and rivet in a repair plate from above but otherwise this penny pinching design would have caused the very premature write off of an expensive appliance 
I saw one recently the oven has only been used a couple of times and the element is already dropping due to it's very limited support brackets