GN3 - 18th Ed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been meaning to raise this for a while for comments

Anyone else think that the C3 "Improvement Required" is an error?

Surely that should say "improvement recommended"

GN3b.jpg

I always thought recommended was an error, far better to say required.

but by saying 'required' then youre implying something must be done when in reality it doesnt. recommedation definately, but you cant force everything to change their 17th edition instll to 18th just because the regs have changed even though doing so isnt really going to improve the safety of the installation

We have a plastic CU - so a C3 and you are saying a replacement is required - I don't agree with you

If this was implemented then about 90% of the UK housing stock would need improvements - which they don't

BS 7671 is not retrospective ...... so nobody can use EICR code C3’s to make people have work done 
I am well aware of your initial fact how is it relevant. You also need to remember the suggested Reporting format in BS7671 is included in an Appendix, they are not Regulations so based on that you can put your own interpretation to Code 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am well aware of your initial fact how is it relevant. You also need to remember the suggested Reporting format in BS7671 is included in an Appendix, they are not Regulations so based on that you can put your own interpretation to Code 3.
so every site you go to that doesn’t meet the 18th edition is dangerous and must be updated? 

I don’t think so

Whether it’s an appendix or not is irrelevant isn’t it, it’s contained within the Book which is considered to be the regulations the appendix’s are additional supportive material are they not? 

Whether it’s an appendix or not is irrelevant isn’t it, it’s contained within the Book which is considered to be the regulations the appendix’s are additional supportive material are they not? 
Well it is relevant as the content of the Appendix is not a Regulation nor does it support any Regulations. I am the company QS for the NICEIC and ECA and our Report format does not fully follow what is laid out in BS7671. I have been questioned about this on several occasions and been encouraged to follow suit with the Regulations however both parties understand this cannot be enforced.

so every site you go to that doesn’t meet the 18th edition is dangerous and must be updated? 

I don’t think so
I don't recall stating this you are judging me and making assumptions. 

Well it is relevant as the content of the Appendix is not a Regulation nor does it support any Regulations. I am the company QS for the NICEIC and ECA and our Report format does not fully follow what is laid out in BS7671. I have been questioned about this on several occasions and been encouraged to follow suit with the Regulations however both parties understand this cannot be enforced.
Whilst they can encourage you to use the BS7671 report form it can not be enforced-true, but are you adding or subtracting from the form? 

In no way are we detracting from the suggested format in fact we are reinforcing it. This does not mean we have altered the definition of Code 3 which remains the same but what @Murdoch may be suspecting we have altered, my take on the Code 3 definition was personal opinion.

So if you are going above and beyond the format for reporting then don’t see an issue, what you report on is your prerogative providing there’s a minimum of compliance with  BS7671? 

Recommend is wishy washy.

Bottom line is...

If there is NO immediate danger present and NO potential danger..    (C1's,  C2's)

and it does NOT make an installation unsatisfactory for continual use..

Then there cannot be any urgency or requirement to amend / update anything...

especially as BS7671 is non-statutory!!

Although some improvements may be possible or recommend to bring an installation up to comply with a newer standard of the regs.

which IMHO is what a C3 is for.

Guinness   

and is different to the intended point of a C3 - so why differ from the information in BS 7671?

Odd to say the least
It is my opinion I feel it is poorly worded so I am not sure why you believe it to be odd we all have differing opinions.

It is my opinion I feel it is poorly worded so I am not sure why you believe it to be odd we all have differing opinions.

so does this mean that you gain extra work from a job through your different interpretation of what is written albeit you are changing the interpretation to a new meaning?