EICR requirements for Landlords

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p1889

Reaction score
Hi , long time since I’ve posted on here but just after some advice.  I’m a fully qualified electrician and have all the relevant qualifications (18th edition, testing and inspection etc).  I’ve got tonnes of experience doing EICR’s.  I left the trade last year to pursue another career path.

I know there are new rules with rentals and electrical checks but I’m a bit confused by it all.  I have family members who rent houses out, I can complete the EICR’s no problem at all.  I’m I required to register as competent through one of the various schemes? I don’t want to go down this route just for the purpose of doing a few periodic inspections and having to pay a fortune to do so.  Basically can I go about completing these and just self certifying them myself? I can attach all my relevant qualifications on the report for the whole “competent person”.  Personally I don’t see why I should have to go through a scheme or pay another electrician to do the work I can do myself.

Cheers

there is no requirement to be registered to complete EICRs despite what the various schemes may say / hint at, the requirement is to be 'competent'

Thanks for the reply,  from what I had read about it assumed as much.  I will still add all the relevant documents to prove my ‘competent’ state. 

Thanks for the reply,  from what I had read about it assumed as much.  I will still add all the relevant documents to prove my ‘competent’ state. 

the schemes, or scams as we like to call them, are no longer charities, they are businesses trying to make money. They did try to lock EICRs for landlords down as an extra registration requirement, that we would have had to pay for as a bolt on to Part P etc etc, and as such have put out  a lot of misleading bumpf to the public. 

I believe you also need a minimum £250,000 professional indemnity insurance too, not sure who stipulates this, it's in the guidance somewhere. Regardless of whether it is mandatory it's wise to have it anyway if carrying out EICRs.

I have family members who rent houses out, I can complete the EICR’s no problem at all.  I’m I required to register as competent through one of the various schemes?

When you come across an install that requires notifiable work doing, on the back of your EICR, you'll need to be in a scheme really or likely pay through the nose to self notify your LABC...if they accept that route. Not all do.