minnisman

My first post

minnisman

Hi everyone. I'm hoping to start a thread on a problem I have with the electrics of a wing mirror.  It's an issue where to make things clear I will have to send four images to show the problem I have.

I hope I can do this.

Regards

Geoff1946

You will have to put the images on a hosting site and post links.  It's an anti spam measure on the forum. After a few posts it will then let you insert images.

minnisman

Thanks Geoff1946. Here is my post with a link to Google Drive.

A brand new replacement wing mirror for my Suzuki 2012 SX4 ZS5 (heated but not retractable) fitted beautifully with no problems except connecting the electrics. Here is a link to view the images referred to below:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q5F25xF4bJvojIIy5SZpKeEEmhIOtAwV?usp=sharing

The 1st and 2nd images show the wiring in the old mirror to the old male plug. The 3rd and 4th images show the wiring inside the new mirror using an endoscope to the new male plug. The back of the old mirror said that it was made in Slovakia (an independent EU state since 1993).

I want to cut the plugs off both mirrors and join the 5 old wires to the 5 wires of the new plug. But the colours on the old wires are different and faded. I see two browns, a pink (probably a faded red), a white and a grey (probably a faded blue). The two browns came from the old heated mirror and probably go with the two blacks of the new wiring. The wires to the new plug are red, green and white. Inside the new mirror I see white, two greens!, a red and two blacks. I think the green is a neutral or common wire but where the extra green goes I am unsure. There obviously been been a change of EU colours between 2012 and 2021.

I would be grateful therefore for any observations as to which wires from the old system I should connect to the wires of the new plug. and confirmation that the green wire is neutral or common.

Sharpend

Do you actually have a wiring diagram? Haynes manual etc? 

Sharpend

Don’t know if this helps but just found this on web 

https://www.suzuki-forums.com/threads/electric-mirrors.69226/

so I’d say two blacks are heater other three are motors for adjustment. 

minnisman

Thanks Sharpend. I've added the wiring diagram from the manual. I've seen the link about the Suzuki Swift you sent. However although the old plug is identical to mine the new plug there has a blue wire. Also the conclusion reached about matching the wires to join doesn't seem to be applicable to me.

Re "two blacks are heater other three are motors for adjustment". I agree and perhaps the wiring diagram can help. One is a normal but its the other two needs matching. Perhaps it doesn't matter. By the way I understand that the heated mirror circuit is connected to the rear window defogger. So they are on the same fuse. 

Sharpend

Do you have a multimeter? 

Sharpend

so I would try following. 

New.    Old. 
red.       Pink

green.   Grey

white.    White. 

two blacks to two browns. 

without a multimeter it’s a best guess from my research.  

minnisman

Thanks for your suggested joining new to old. However before doing that I have a multi meter and have posted an image of it into the link and also an image of the old female plug. I have only used the MM to test connectivity of a circuit (top left) and to find how much life there is in 9v and 1.5v batteries.

Sharpend

You will need to put you MM onto 50V DC, switch on ignition, touch the RED lead from MM to metallic (unpainted) part of the vehicle, insert the RED lead into one of the three wires terminals on the female connector (White, Grey, Red).

Operate the wing mirror control for each motion (up, down, left, right). 

When you get a voltage write down the motion and colour cable.

Then refer to your wiring diagram and cross reference with your findings. 

Report back and we can help from there. 

If you want to confirm the two blacks then you will need to switch on the heated window button, again Black Lead to metallic part of vehicle and Red to black cable.

Be careful not to short anything out, which realistically you should not be able to to do.

minnisman

Jolly good and useful advice and I want to get on and do it. But feeling a bit unwell today and it's pretty cold and depressing outside. So I'm sorry I'm not able to do this at present and will report back in due course. Thanks so much.

minnisman

Just noticed that the image I sent as the old female plug was in fact the bottom of the male plug. I've replaced it with the correct female plug.

Sharpend

Same principle applies. 

you may be able to change the plugs over. Sometimes with a very small pin you can release the crimps out of the plug which would allow you to swap the plug rather than cut and join cables. 

minnisman

Noted about not cutting and joining. By the way you mention RED twice. Shouldn't one be black? Raining here in east Kent - we need it!

Sharpend

Apologies, should be Black to metallic art of vehicle. 

20 hours ago, Sharpend said:

You will need to put you MM onto 50V DC, switch on ignition, touch the BLACK lead from MM to metallic (unpainted) part of the vehicle, insert the RED lead into one of the three wires terminals on the female connector (White, Grey, Red).

Operate the wing mirror control for each motion (up, down, left, right). 

When you get a voltage write down the motion and colour cable.

Then refer to your wiring diagram and cross reference with your findings. 

Report back and we can help from there. 

If you want to confirm the two blacks then you will need to switch on the heated window button, again Black Lead to metallic part of vehicle and Red to black cable.

Be careful not to short anything out, which realistically you should not be able to to do.

minnisman

Using the female plug I have ascertained the voltages of the wires to the old male plug in the way suggested by Sharpend. Using the wiring diagram I found:

Grey=Terminal A=up 12v
Red=Terminal B=left 12v
White=Terminal C=down and right=12v

The Brown wire next to the empty slot=approx16v
The Brown wire next the White wire=nil

Sharpend

So new plug colours are:

A - white

B - red

C - green 

the two blacks connect one each to the two browns. This is the heater so doesn’t matter which way you connect. 

minnisman

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks. Any thoughts as where that extra green inside the new mirror is used for?

Sharpend

Possibly a folding mirror option although I don’t see this extra green on the plug? Is is on a separate plug? 

minnisman

There is no switch in the car to fold the mirrors. The invoice from the supplier said "Adjustment: Electric & Heated (5‐Pin Connector), Fold Type: Manual Folding". So if the green is for electric folding a different part inside would have been installed with an extra plug.

Sharpend

Can you see where the two greens go to from the mirror? Only the plug has just one green? 

minnisman

Unfortunately not. Although the endoscope has a slanted mirror for sideways viewing, it is not clear view. And I don't want to tilt the mirror any more or pull it off in case it does damage. Perhaps when the mirror is working I might be able to see further to satisfy our curiosity.

Sharpend

I’d be inclined to connect it up and see what works and what doesn’t? 
did you manage to remove pins from plug? 

minnisman

I did try but didn't work out for me. Probably need correct tools. Will use a five-way terminal block connector insulation taped. Didn't have any waterproof sleeves. Might get some.

Sharpend

Heat shrink through crimps, you will need a crimp tool though.