Todays Spot the Fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah this guy obviously got confused by harmonised colour arrangements. Clearly black is classed as a Live conductor so therefore Red must now be a neutral as it’s no longer recognised in current regs. 
question is are we switching the neutral or live? 
And don’t get me started on no earth sleeve let alone a ‘live’ marker sleeve. 

I really don’t know where you dig these up from Dave? Are you sure you’ve not got a test bench that you dream all these oddities up on just to keep us sharp??? 

No this was from todays job.  I just wanted to pick up a power feed for a new RF linked smoke alarm. That is what I found when I unscrewed the cover off the ceiling rose.

The right hand cable is the supply, so yes connected wrong polarity, so for god knows how long it has been switching neutral. If someone had stuck a finger in the BC lamp holder even with the light turned "off" it would have hurt.

Question for the electric police.  What would you say the the black to the switch drop now being sleeved in brown?  I don't have any red sleeving any more.

Can't be dealing with people sleeving red brown and black blue, what's that all about😁

Can't be dealing with people sleeving red brown and black blue, what's that all about😁
That is not what I am suggesting.  The black switched L needs sleeving, but I don't have any red, so I slipped some brown on.  Will I go to prison?  It will obviously confuse the majority of "electricians" to the point they don't know what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not what I am suggesting.  The black switched L needs sleeving, but I don't have any red, so I slipped some brown on.  Will I go to prison?  It will obviously confuse the majority of "electricians" to the point they don't know what it is.
Definitely should go to prison. Just before harmonisation I got 100m of red and black sleeve so still have loads.

Screwfix only sell it because they had a trillion miles in stock and people with old houses think that's what's needed to harmonise later cables to match existing