Spot the motor discrepancy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roys

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the start of one of Daves thread.

Bit of background, going to change this 3 phase star connected motor to delta connection. Had a wee chuckle when I saw the connection diagram inside the terminal box lid.

I have included the name plate, the term box diagram and the connection block.

Can you see what I see?

9651DEF1-C23C-4FA7-8127-3297079C3A35.jpeg

A4323BE7-F162-4F7C-AE93-81646E633576.jpeg

B6768475-7916-462F-BCEC-785DBF94DDDA.jpeg

Okay be interesting to know as the terminal box only has four terminal posts but isn't clear if there are two or three supply conductors, I guess three from the three blue ring terminals.

Edit. Another look and it seems the star point are all at the top left terminal?

Never seen that before the four terminals threw me.

The indication of a capacitor is also absent at the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yip

3 blue crimps is the 3 phase supply, connected to red yellow and blue tails.

Star point looks like top left terminal with a black, white and brown tails on it.

Will just need to meter out each field winding and delta connect it, easy enough. 

Just made me wonder where the lid label came from, has that been an error since manufacture, which I guess was the 1970s

What's that red coming off the top right and disappearing into the motor?
End of one of the windings.

Yip

3 blue crimps is the 3 phase supply, connected to red yellow and blue tails.

Star point looks like top left terminal with a black, white and brown tails on it.

Will just need to meter out each field winding and delta connect it, easy enough. 

Just made me wonder where the lid label came from, has that been an error since manufacture, which I guess was the 1970s
We will probably never know the origin of the cover it was probably a generic terminal box.

Possible the correct lid went astray and someone happened to have another from a single phase motor. Even though the motors may have different frames they may have used generic terminal boxes. Could have been to the rewinders and they replaced it although I would have thought they would have removed the old diagram. There is probably a single phase motor out there with its cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yip all possibilities, the other one that I could think of was that the works where it came from were giving two or three similar machines an overhaul all at the same time and they mixed up a couple of the lids. Totally agree that there is/was a single phase motor with a 3 phase connection diagram on the lid out there.