Cable CSA

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltonsparky

Reaction score
Had an EICR today. All T+E cable, all stranded apart from the lighting. Socket circuits (ring finals) looked too small to be 4mm by my eyes but larger than 2.5, CPC was a 1.5mm solid.

Red and black

Strange thing was it was new in 2004, both the building and install so too new for imperial stranded. I've seen far older with solid cores, by that conclusion I can only assume it's 4mm, the designer was overdoing it and my eyes were way off today, what does the collective think?

EDIT: writing this has answered my own question. Built in 2004, insulation, designer has done it in 4mm and my eyes were off  headbang

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like it was 4mm. maybe done that way for volt drop or going through insulation etc

you could always measure diameter of strands and calculate the CSA

2.5mm stranded with a 1.5 solid earth was available as special order, see it a lot in schools round here on work done in the 1990s.

Never seen it in harmonised colours though I presume it might still be available

You can still get stranded 2.5 and as above it seems to be common in schools. CEF sell it.

Latest posts