Lighting circuit breaker trips after removing lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EfficientEstimate

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to debug problem which I believe I caused :). I am doing some paintings and wallpaper removal, so I removed some ceiling lights. Initially, as I disconnected the light plastic fitting from the ceiling, I interrupted the circuit, so I had no lights. I then reconnected wires and got the lights back. I continued removing other lights and now I am in a situation where when I switch on the light breaker; it trips immediately. To make a test, I interrupted the circuit again, disconnecting cables from one light (the same I knew I disconnected earlier on), but still it trips. I would have expected to see no trip and no light with a cut circuit, but apparently it's not.

Which is the best way to debug this problem? Can it be just because of a faulty connection I generated?

Thanks

EE

probably wired wrong. tbh, if you cant figure it out, its probably time to call soemone who does know what they are doing before someone gets killed or injured

As Andy said....   

The problem should be simple to diagnose for any person familiar with the concept of a Supply to multiple Switch & Load arrangements..

either looped at switch, or at load...  and/or with any mixture of new/old cable colours...

There are multiple combinations of how it could have originally being wired..

I would guess you have shorted something out somewhere..

But without testing the individual cables with a suitable meter it is almost impossible for anyone to diagnose remotely what you have done..

The quickest and safest solution would be to get someone to come and diagnose exactly what you have and how it needs to be reconnected.

:coffee