Fuse Box Replacement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale_B

Reaction score
Hi, we had a fuse box replaced circa 7 years ago, we've recently got an electrical safety certificate done, which the fuse box failed with a quote from the assessing company to replace it at around £1000. The original electrician came back at cost, checked it to see if there we're any issues that had occurred since installation and said its fine. Be great if I could have some advice as they both can't be correct and I'm not sure how to proceed especially with the cost of fixing what may not be a problem. Thanks!

Sally this is all so common, 

A plastic fuseboard is a C3 unless there is signs of thermal damage

If you Google electrical safety council best practice guide No 4 you can see that in this guide plastic fuseboards are not mentioned.

Re the person who says it should be replaced you need to ask then on writing why they have given it a C2 and for what reason 

As mentioned it's not likely to need changing unless there is thermal damage, your original electrician saying it's ok is means it will be safe for continued use. Also £1000 for a replacement seems a bit steep, but that depends on various factors and your location.

Out of interest, what was the charge for the safety certificate (EICR) and how long was he/she/they there for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks for all the advice on this so far it is really appreciated.

The electrical installation condition report cost 147+vat. It failed on 4.3 condition of enclosure in terms of ip rating and 4.5 enclosure not damaged or deteriorated do as to impair safety.

After a bit of chasing we managed to get the following detail from the company that completed the survey  "it was made unsatisfactory due to access to live parts over the index rating".

Its a metal box which im told was OK at the time it was put in and its housed in purpose built wooden cupboard in the living room.

We used this large company as our original electrician was busy at the time.

Thanks

Dale 

If you can post some pictures on here members should be able to asses the IP rating problem. Interesting your original guy says it's ok but the EICR says it isn't. You shouldn't really have IP issues on a metal CU, unless the cable entry knock outs haven't been done right. 

For reference the top surface should be IP4X (no gaps larger than 1mm) anywhere else should be IP2X (no gaps larger than 12.5mm).

sounds like excessive clearance around cable entries into the board, easily cured with silicone. 

I would ask your origibal sprky if he could issue EICR base d on his revious EIC for changing the bard and some quick tests to verify ccts are still ok. 

sounds like excessive clearance around cable entries into the board, easily cured with silicone. 

I would ask your origibal sprky if he could issue EICR base d on his revious EIC for changing the bard and some quick tests to verify ccts are still ok. 

if someone asked me that, especially after 7 years, the answer would definately be no chance. full EICR would be required at normal cost

if someone asked me that, especially after 7 years, the answer would definately be no chance. full EICR would be required at normal cost
somebody recently asked me if the EICR done in 2012 was still valid ! I politely told them no and declined to do another one for them

I assume the use of silicone is a joke.

Presumably Wiska Sprint glands specifically for twin and earth cable would do the job a treat. Nickel plated brass ones would be belt and braces but would plastic suffice on the basis the t&e is unlikely to be lsf?

The material the gland is constructed from is not important you are just maintaining an IP rating. There is no need to fire seal entries as the enclosure of a consumer unit is not fire rated just constructed from non-flammable materials, well metal ones anyway.

The material the gland is constructed from is not important you are just maintaining an IP rating. There is no need to fire seal entries as the enclosure of a consumer unit is not fire rated just constructed from non-flammable materials, well metal ones anyway.

Of course the material is important. Plus you don't add "fuel to a fire". If you knowingly add a bunch of potentially flammable glands to something, then that could have consequences. You're only making it better in terms of the IP rating. If it all went t!ts up and it could be argued you used plastic instead of metal (perhaps on the grounds of cost) then good luck.