LED Emergency non maintained lights - live feed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurence Cuinu

Reaction score
Hi

I'm potentially getting an electrician to fit an LED driver emergency light to some 'exisiting' LED downlighters.  The idea being 'discrete' apart from the little led test/charge button.  They'll power via DC 230v on a power cut up to about 2-5 lights (20W).

My question is how much upheaval/fitting will there expected to be?  We're opening our b&b soon and I may get an alternative workaround  Reason is I thought it may be a simple install of removing a downlight, feeding the driver/battery through (once hooked up to the switched live and N) and hey presto...however it looks like it also needs a permanent live which won't be there.  Will he/she need to feed a separate live (one core wire?) from the live wall switch up the wall and along the ceiling or completely rewire the lights to accomodate some other cable setup.  We're pretty remote and always like to understand concepts/reasons even when I'll get the leccy to install and sign off.

TIA

Emergency lights require a permanent live to charge the batteries. Whether this can be taken from the light switch really depends how the cable is routed, is it a stud wall or rendered. However if you have a standard 3 plate light fitting locally then possibly the permanent from there if in same circuit. 

I would suggest get a local spark to visit and advise , it’s almost impossible to say without seeing the install

it may be easy or really tricky

Local sparks may well not have a clue about emergency lighting and the requirements of BS5266. A site visit is required to assess the premises to ensure the installed emergency lighting is sufficient, they should also provide photometric data to support this.

Local sparks may well not have a clue about emergency lighting and the requirements of BS5266. A site visit is required to assess the premises to ensure the installed emergency lighting is sufficient, they should also provide photometric data to support this.
not many sparks know what BS5266 actually is or have a copy which makes me wonder who has made the assessment for the OP

No one has made an assessment the OP is just fielding a question, I am just suggesting the route they should follow.

I forgot to add....it's a partition wall, stud/plasterboard.  We're covering all bases and having the fire risk assessement shortly as well as input from BC for level 7 guest house.

I think I'm getting the general feeling a permanent live can be taken from the switch, up the cavity and along to the lights where the unit will sit but we'll get input from an electrician.  I can appreciate without looking that it's a hard call but I suppose the query boiled down to ability to use exisitng wiring to the led and just feed in a live or due to regs having to install a brand new wiring circuit (if you follow)...never seen a single core live before, its always been two or t&e.  Obviously just routing a single core live wire would not be tooo bad.

Well if it’s a stud wall then should be reasonably easy to replace the cable for a new one with extra core. 
best get a local spark in for guidance and price. They will have to sign it all off for BC anyhow. 

Possibly but a post like that is likely to sway the OP from any future response. I prefer to glean more info before citing an opinion. 

I forgot to add....it's a partition wall, stud/plasterboard.  We're covering all bases and having the fire risk assessement shortly as well as input from BC for level 7 guest house.

I think I'm getting the general feeling a permanent live can be taken from the switch, up the cavity and along to the lights where the unit will sit but we'll get input from an electrician.  I can appreciate without looking that it's a hard call but I suppose the query boiled down to ability to use exisitng wiring to the led and just feed in a live or due to regs having to install a brand new wiring circuit (if you follow)...never seen a single core live before, its always been two or t&e.  Obviously just routing a single core live wire would not be tooo bad.

there's a high chance the switch drop goes to one of the downlighters where a permanet live will be present - just depends on how the lights were wired.