Manual solar changeover switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macsamillion

Reaction score
Hi, 

I have two Distribution boards, one off peak and one peak. I am all electric so have storage heaters and also an electric Aga cooker. My solar is connected at the Henley block for my daytime peak supply. For some of the year we are producing more than we can use and it would be beneficial to also feed the Aga cooker. This is on one half of my off peak dist board. I ran a trial by moving the feed to the dist board from the off peak Henley to the peak Henley block. I was thinking about installing a 63A manual changeover switch between the dist board and Henley, and wiring a supply from both peak and off peak Henley blocks using meter tails. This would allow me to switch supplies if we have a period of bad weather, benefiting the lower rate. The one half of the board I want to supply is fed from a 63A breaker. The alternative would be to look at adding another breaker to the peak board same size as one for the Aga and then running to feeds from there. There are some towel rails and a storage heater off the same side of the board so thought I could use up any electricity rather than just feed the cooker. Any advice or comments of my idea is feasible or alternatives would be appreciated. 

I have a supply that is always on which is charged same as off peak but is only towel rails, a couple of smaller storage heaters and the Aga and then another supply that is switched by scottish power which is solely for the rest of the storage heaters. Think it's called economy 10. My

Two electricity meters and then two outlets from the off peak meter leave with one going through a timed unit

I have a supply that is always on which is charged same as off peak but is only towel rails, a couple of smaller storage heaters and the Aga and then another supply that is switched by scottish power which is solely for the rest of the storage heaters. Think it's called economy 10. My
ahh Scotty land where they do things different  :^O

a possible answer maybe  a unit like this, to feed surplus electricity to the off peak meter, not sure how well that would work, not sure I would want to be fitting something like that to feed leccy over to a different meter supply? 

https://www.itstechnologies.shop/products/solic200-solar-immersion-heater-controller?variant=31125592047714&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-02-25&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQjwse-DBhC7ARIsAI8YcWKEeK_1kuFPxu3XYguxfDv0-bJvRxZRW5jLsPGFcgzvGG3K6wtFcrgaAhtFEALw_wcB

I already have a Solar iboost which diverts unused electricity. I have found since March that I am still generating about another 15-20kw on top once the thermostats on both tanks  kick out. The aga uses around 3kw when heating up which means that anything above that still goes to the water tank. I have an 8kw solar system. 

I'm still a little puzzled by the configuration.

OP - when you get your post count to 10 you can post photos 

I would like to see what you are describing

PS: We've got solar and on most sunny days we end up exporting, despite doing absolute minimal gas boiler heating for water and having a solar immersion heater to do the rest (her in doors doesn't appreciate coming home from a night shift to a luke warm bath!)

Sounds like your best bet would be a set of batteries, or you need to add  heaters connected via additional Solic or iboost only, to throw energy into heat - note, digital controls are not compatible with these devices. 

Sounds like your best bet would be a set of batteries, or you need to add  heaters connected via additional Solic or iboost only, to throw energy into heat - note, digital controls are not compatible with these devices. 
I just can't get the maths to work out for batteries. They seem ludicrously expensive. I can't use iboost for storage heaters due to distance involved. My best bet is the changeover switch but how I wire it up is still in draft. I will get pictures up as soon as I'm allowed

Out of interest what does everyone use to host the pictures as I understand I can only post url? 

I just can't get the maths to work out for batteries. They seem ludicrously expensive. I can't use iboost for storage heaters due to distance involved. My best bet is the changeover switch but how I wire it up is still in draft. I will get pictures up as soon as I'm allowed

Out of interest what does everyone use to host the pictures as I understand I can only post url? 
depends who you buy them from  :^O  Payback on batteries has vastly imroved over the last few years. 

You can post links to a picture hositng site, or directly on here after 10 posts - it's a feature to stop spam!