Critique my EICR testing process

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS79

Reaction score
Right here goes.....I'm opening myself up to be slaughtered here but might be worth it.

I've started doing EICR's recently as the obvious demand is high at the moment and likely to be for a while. The reality is though, that realise need a higher level of competence for this. That said I've got test and inspect but never had the opportunity to tag behind a decent spark doing EICR's on a regular basis.

So here's my basic process

First thing first start entering all details can enter and verify supply type if obvious/accessible

Isolate supply, using 2 lead tester test across, L-E, L-N, E-L to prove polarity.

Disconnect main earth and take Ze reading. Reconnect main earth and test between L-E, L-N and record highest PFC. At the same time if prior to this I couldn't gain access to confirm supply type this gives me pointer to if is TNCS as if readings within 0.02 ohms I presume it is TNCS.

Here's the bits confused about and so far been deciding on best course of actions depending on if occupied or unoccupied property. If occupied I make a decision on whether or not it's safe to disconnect any bonding conductors. If I can I will disconnect and long lead to any exposed gas and water pipes to prove separately bonded. As in a lot of situations can't find main water bond, if readings suggest bond is in place I record this as a C3. I test between all simultaneously accessible metal work, if less than 0.05 I deem this acceptable. If have a reading with long lead connected at MET that is >299 I deem this as not an extraneous conductive part?

The stage above and next stage I take issue with GN3 as it suggests do not need to disconnect bonds and cpcs from MET for bonding/CPC readings. I don't see how this doesn't introduce possibility of parrellel earth paths. What is others thoughts on this? As sometimes it seems impossible to identify the cpc of circuits at DB so is easier to long lead from MET but this doesn't seem ideal to me.

I then have a quick swoop round property with long lead touching down on all metalic parts, earth pins and make mental note of high R2 readings for pointer to R1+R2's.

I then do my IR testing. I don't N-L as this seems impractical on in use installs and link L&N and test to E.

I then do my my ring continuity tests. I admit up to now I haven't been cross connecting L-E and L-N and taking r1+r2 and r1+rn readings at each circuit, do others religiously do this? I feel the risks of this are not high, am I missing something?

I then finally disconnect my line conductors and link to MET and go around getting my R1+R2 readings on all circuits and add these to get my ZS's. Again have issue with GN3 as says linking MET is fine, but again can't see how not potentially picking up parrellel paths. If this isn't such a concern why can't we just Zs on all circuits to prove have an acceptable earth path.

Finally check for all other items on schedule of inspections and tighten all terminations at DB

Realise this is a long and probably pretty boring post 😄 but always keen to do things properly and get opinion of others

Cheers

I would say you are doing far more than the cheap drive by monkeys

You do not mention confirming what circuits do - when do you do this?
Haha cheers Murdoch, I imagine that too but would rather walk away in knowledge can rest easy and not left much to chance. Plus took on my own apprentice recently so need to up game and not pass on any sloppy habits. I confirm the circuits when doing my R1+R2. I find it tedious going round counting all the points when doing this but so far have. Have noticed on few unsatisfactory certs received from other companies don't bother with this just put a dash. David Savery gone as far as designing certs with no column for this, not sure about this but think can be impossible to confirm all points on a circuit at times

An EICR is a two stage process, testing and inspection. The testing aspect is the small part of the process and requires little experience just knowledge of how test instruments function and how tests are performed. The inspection side requires sufficient knowledge of various electrical installations and most importantly experience of such installations, without this you are not competent. Your opening post suggests you are not comfortable with the testing aspect which leads me to question your ability and competence to critique an existing electrical installation.

An EICR is a two stage process, testing and inspection. 

hit , nail and head springs to mind - with the emphasis on the inspection , i.e. removing accessories and looking at connections - which I'm 90% sure most cheap inspectors don't do.

Personally I am fed up with cheapskate landlords asking me for a 2nd opinion on an EICR and when I state the report isn't worth the paper its written on and it needs to e re done properly they tend, on the whole to go quiet when they realise that they are going to have to pay over £100 for a new EICR.

That said I've just been asked to re-inspect 8 properties because the original spark won't justify any of his codings - be interesting to see what I find

Haha cheers Murdoch, I imagine that too but would rather walk away in knowledge can rest easy and not left much to chance. Plus took on my own apprentice recently so need to up game and not pass on any sloppy habits. I confirm the circuits when doing my R1+R2. I find it tedious going round counting all the points when doing this but so far have. Have noticed on few unsatisfactory certs received from other companies don't bother with this just put a dash. David Savery gone as far as designing certs with no column for this, not sure about this but think can be impossible to confirm all points on a circuit at times

AFAIR there is no mandatory requirement to note the number of accessories on an EICR and I rarely do it , but my sketch of the property will show where they all are, and on which circuit they are on.

EICR's are a very contentious subject - just make sure your PI insurance is up to date