Tarmfield

EICR RCD question

Murdoch

That EICR is questionable to say the least.

I would walk away from them and find a local spark to retest, but make sure they know what they are doing

OP - how much did you pay for this inspection?

Fleeting

I would demand a refund it is technically incorrect. 

Murdoch
9 hours ago, Sharpend said:

It was lifted from your link as a C3. 

the reason I checked that was because somebody skim reading your post might think you are saying they are C2’s

Tarmfield
12 minutes ago, Sharpend said:

I don’t even think the test schedule relates to your board. There are 5 circuits on the non RCD side of your board from picture but only 4 listed on schedule. 

Did you find whom they are registered with? 

I think it is sort of correct - the 5th one is marked as a spare, some do appear to have incorrect ratings on the report, a 10A is listed as a 6A.

I will go back to them with the codes and findings and see what they say.

Sharpend

Personally I wouldn’t waste your time with them, unless your write a legal type letter. 

it is clear that they haven’t a clue how to carry out an EICR

Murdoch
2 hours ago, Tarmfield said:

Cover letter:

Cover_cropped.thumb.jpg.2332e935ce53040c2c2ed6a36670a310.jpg

That letter is bordering on threatening ..........

Find a new spark

Tarmfield

The inspection was arranged through British Gas, we have the landlord coverage for the heating systems with them, this was our house in the UK before we moved to the USA, and was previously owned by an electrician (No idea if thats good or bad!).

The inspection cost 234.99 from British Gas.

Sharpend

I would speak to BG and request a second opinion based on grossly negligent technical disparity between regulation requirements and interpretation. Advise them that you will be seeking to take this matter further as BG are employing the services of incompetent persons and now that you have made them aware they have a duty to rectify the issue. 

in the meantime get your proof over to the registration body - whilst they might not be interested you are building a paper trail and case against them. 
This is going to take some work and effort on your part to get the right outcome. 

Murdoch
13 minutes ago, Tarmfield said:

The inspection was arranged through British Gas, we have the landlord coverage for the heating systems with them, this was our house in the UK before we moved to the USA, and was previously owned by an electrician (No idea if thats good or bad!).

The inspection cost 234.99 from British Gas.

Ouch ouch ouch

That said BG prices are always OTT

Where in the UK is the property and how big is it?

Tarmfield

Its in south east london (orpington) and its fairly big, its either a 3 bed 3 reception, or a 4 bed 2 reception detached house, 1936 with extensions over the years. We went with BG because it seemed to be simple as we have the cover from them for the heating / boiler which has been pretty effective, didn't realize it would be subbed out, and by the looks of it subbed out again as the report is from Propcert.co.uk and the actual inspection was done by a local electrician firm in Bexley.

We also figured we could arrange it all online and access the outputs trough our BG account which is a benefit as we live in California, so time zones and online access is nice to have, however as they subbed the whole thing out this wasn't the case.

Lesson learned for next time - go local and trusted, we will be raising a complaint with BG for the whole thing when we have a final resolution.

Also want to figure out if we should replace the board / CU and install more protection, I am not trying to avoid the work if it is actually required (which it seems not) or would provide a decent level of additional protection (Which seems marginal), but the whole thing so far makes me feel that they are trying to rip me off and I definitely wont be doing any works thru them!

Edited by Tarmfield
added info

Sharpend

Propcert appears to be a middleman agent/scheme akin to TAT/CAT etc. You call them they arrange a tradesperson for your needs. Only these do it for businesses as well. 
So BG probably have an account with them and they supply customer details for them to find a local tradesperson. 

Sharpend

If you want to replace the board you will gain greater safety on the existing non RCD circuits but is it necessary? If you are renting the property out then maybe covers you more so as a landlord, if you are living there then you probably have enough knowledge of the property to know if anything has been interfered with in your absence which can be remedied? 

boltonsparky
1 hour ago, Tarmfield said:

and was previously owned by an electrician (No idea if thats good or bad!).

Mostly bad :^O

They've also put LIM on the inspection schedule for some of the inspection items (sections 13 &15), but then in the limitations section on the cert (page one section 4) they've put N/A. 

Also, nit picking, they don't know the difference between O and 0 (max Zs on page 7).

You've paid the correct rate for a decent EICR but you've received the quality of a 40 quid one in terms of the technical knowledge of the person carrying it out. 

I'd find a local reputable electrician to carry out another EICR

The installation could definitely be made safer with works to bring it up to the current regs, full RCD protection, metal CU for example but that is your decision to make using your own judgement assisted by somebody suitably competent, not the decision of somebody who is carrying out substandard EICRs coupled with threatening letters and poor communication skills. 

Tarmfield

Yeah - that's what i figured - have pinged a couple of local electricians with good reviews and a friend of a friend to get some alternative options and quotes for the work, like i said I don't mind doing the work if it's worth it for the tenants - eventually we are likely to move back into the house, it's the arm twisting approach I object to which has put my back up right now!

Sharpend

Well if you wanted to really put the cat amongst the pigeons you could send an individual letter of complaint to each BG/ Procert/ electrcial contractor. Asking why they are in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as they are offering a service that is unfit for purpose. State the regulations and technical incompetence as pointed out by @Fleeting along with references to @Murdoch link as an industry standard and ask each for an explanation. 
Invite them to respond within 14 days or you will take further action.  

kerching

A least they have not used the word "illegal " 😂

W⚓️S

Tarmfield

I just sent them a note advising them that i have had the report looked at, sent them the quoted parts and asked them if they still think its correct - will see what the "Sales Advisor" (another red flag) comes back with this time, then will let loose with complaints to BG and associations etc...

SPECIAL LOCATION
4 hours ago, Tarmfield said:

didn't realize it would be subbed out, and by the looks of it subbed out again as the report is from Propcert.co.uk and the actual inspection was done by a local electrician firm in Bexley.

I frequently get e-mails from companies offering to do EICR's for my customers on my behalf....

Just found one from 17 April..   few key names etc hidden..

But you get the gist of what they offer..

Dear Sir / Madam,
I was wondering if "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" provide Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR)?
If you do, I think I can help you by providing a subcontracting service for EICR. Often, we find that some electrical contractors simply don't have the manpower or the time to do testing themselves, and that's where we come in.
Our directly employed electricians arrive in plain white, unbranded vans and can act as your staff and wear your company uniforms (if you provide them). We can even emboss your company details on to our high quality test labels and final reports - in short, the whole service can be made to look like it has come directly from your company. All you need to do is take your customer's order, then give us a call, earning you a passive income whilst your own team undertake other projects.
We undertake this sort of subcontracting for many electrical and facilities companies throughout the UK. Most importantly, quality and safety are also our top priorities,

blah, blah, blah...

If this is something which you’d be interested in speaking about, feel free to email me back or call me on xxxxxxxxxxx

Many thanks,

So this subbing - out concept is obviously standard practice for some within the industry!

I can guess at the types of "electrician" who are the poor sods at the bottom of the chain..

Doing the actual inspection work, but getting the least money from the job...

So is it any wonder that the "quality" of reports is a bit hit and miss?

and/or it could be a scenario where a subcontractor gives one code...

But someone in the office decides to change it? 

:C

Edited by SPECIAL LOCATION

SPECIAL LOCATION

There's a link on another thread to someone offering a CU upgrade for a £1.00

and an EICR for £100.00... 

you could always try them!!!!!

:slap

But...

on a serious note..

it all just goes to show how difficult it is for customers to identify and get reliable tradespersons..

When most of the changes to BS7671...

and the quick & easy short course training...

and lack of policing or enforcement of regulations within the industry..

are just making it a complete bun-fight for anyone trying to get some work done correctly at a reasonable price.

Voluntary membership of trades bodies...

purchased by the contractor, creates an immediate conflict of interests when contractors bend or ignore BS7671 good practice!

Bit like the biased "good tradesmen" websites..

"Find A Trusted Check A Person" who's paid us a lot of money to advertise on this site!!

Legally acceptable DIY electrical work doesn't help much either....   

when Bob down the pub can get a CU from B&Q plus a few sockets & some drums of T&E...

so it can't be that hard can it?????

:shakehead

Sharpend
1 hour ago, Tarmfield said:

I just sent them a note advising them that i have had the report looked at, sent them the quoted parts and asked them if they still think its correct - will see what the "Sales Advisor" (another red flag) comes back with this time, then will let loose with complaints to BG and associations etc...

it will be interesting to see what bull they return with, although it will give us the opportunity to show these up for what they are. 

Sidney

That response does read more as a threat.

You have had an EICR completed, this is the legal requirement. It does not have to be satisfactory. 

Within 28 days the faults identified need to be rectified and paperwork raised accordingly.

You do not need a satisfactory EICR, just evidence that the remedial works have been completed.

Speak to some other electrical companies and get quotes for remedial works. I would recommend you go for the ones that would replace the MCBs with RCBOs and issue a minor works certificate. The certificate is your proof that remedial works have been completed.

binky
On 01/05/2021 at 11:13, Sidney said:

That response does read more as a threat.

it'd definetly designed to frighten 

image.png.341189a1ced5b4c0aba3f4676311def1.png