Running 6mm twin & earth cable.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiyPete

Reaction score
Hi, I am shifting our electric oven to the other side of the kitchen which will require a new run of 6mm twin and earth back to the consumer unit in the integral garage, the run is aprrox 11m with 9.5 m in the garage, the last bit through stud and plasterboard walling. Which is the best method to run it in the garage, cable clips butting up to the ceiling, 25mm plastic conduit, or plastic trunking 25mm x 16mm, there will be five 90 degree bends.

Thanks

Pete

Fixings will need to be as such that the cable will not prematurely collapse in the event of a fire.

Me too , but it wouldn't harm to have a few in a garage

I did hear a rumour that plastic trunking and conduit might be removed from the regs .......
See Regulation 521.10.202 of the 18th Ed. we have moved on from Regulation 521.11.201 of the 17th Ed. nearly three years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
See Regulation 521.10.202 of the 18th Ed. we have moved on from Regulation 521.11.201 of the 17th Ed. nearly three years ago.
hum.. just re-read that regard note 1 seems to confirm my thoughts

”wiring systems hanging across or egress routes may hinder evactuation and fire fighting activities”

hum.. just re-read that regard note 1 seems to confirm my thoughts

”wiring systems hanging across or egress routes may hinder evactuation and fire fighting activities”
All three Notes reinforce the Regulation both comments to my initial post are referring to the 17th Ed. It is important to know these changes when carrying out EICRs. 

All three Notes reinforce the Regulation both comments to my initial post are referring to the 17th Ed. It is important to know these changes when carrying out EICRs. 
WTGrape

i simply don’t see what the other 2 notes refer to the point being discussed

if the idiots who write the regs did it properly these differences of opinion wouldn’t happen

and as for EICRs then let’s give up

Or 2 years and 4 months by the normal calendar that the rest of us use...

18th ed, Come into effect 1 Jan 2019...    {see pg4 ;) }       

current date 30 April 2021.   Not even two & half years yet!

Guinness

Or 2 years and 4 months by the normal calendar that the rest of us use...

18th ed, Come into effect 1 Jan 2019...    {see pg4 ;) }       

current date 30 April 2021.   Not even two & half years yet!

Guinness
Fair point.

WTGrape

i simply don’t see what the other 2 notes refer to the point being discussed

if the idiots who write the regs did it properly these differences of opinion wouldn’t happen

and as for EICRs then let’s give up
I stated cable support should not prematurely collapse in the event of a fire which is relevant to the poster, the Notes to this Regulation are also relevant. Later comments thought this referred to corridors and stairwells, I pointed out the changes between Regulations.

I stated cable support should not prematurely collapse in the event of a fire which is relevant to the poster, the Notes to this Regulation are also relevant. Later comments thought this referred to corridors and stairwells, I pointed out the changes between Regulations.
no you didn’t.

You doubted @binky opinion of what the regs meant.

If I recall correctly the key reason for this reg being introduced was following some fires at industrial warehouse-type units...

where tragically some fire-fighters lost their lives after getting tangled up in sagging electrical cables,

and being restricted in their movements being unable to free themselves,  by their breathing apparatus...

Now...

we don't even know if this garage is a "through-way"...

i.e. many garages are a dead-end single entry with no direct access into the dwelling at all.

e.g. Mr or Mrs homeowner has to walk out of the front door..

in through the main garage door to get to the car/bikes/freezer/golf-clubs/whatever is stored there...

Even garages that do have an internal door into the property are on the balance of probability not likely to be a major fire exit route...

Nor are they likely to have loads of really slack cables passing over doorways...

And even if they do..

99.99999999% of average garages are going to be so full of other junk..

any cables will NOT be able to fall very far anyway!!!

Nor will anyone be able to walk very easily into them either..

There will probably be a greater risk from part used paint tins..

falling off plastic Aldi, flat-pack shelf units!!!

Once again it is one of those regulations where common-sense & application of the individual environment conditions comes to play..

In reality two to three 6inch nails banged into the wall an inch below any cable runs will catch any "sagging cables in the event of a fire"

If I am running cables in PCV trunking..  (to make it look a bit neater)...

I will be using a few strategically positioned metal banding loops along the way to hold cables in place until the lid is clipped on!

So the cables actually can't fall...

even if the lid is off!

As with many things BS7671 related...    Common Sense is as important as arguing over the meaning of wordings.

Guinness     

The Regulation now has blanket coverage irrelevant of the location.

The Regulation now has blanket coverage irrelevant of the location.

Strictly speaking BS761 has never had any blanket cover, as 120.3 (or its earlier incarnations),  allows for deviations/departures when the level of safety is not compromised. Obviously the person choosing to adopt any deviation would need to have sufficient backing if their deviation did go pear-shaped.

Doc H.  

no it doesn’t 

that’s not what it says

the clues are access and egress
I think you need to read all the Notes as opposed to just Note 1 then it will be clear that suitable support is required not just on escape routes and/or stairwells.