Single phase Solar on TP supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,

Feel i should know this but have nothing to do with solar so please forgive me,   ive got a customer who currently has a normal single phase supply, this is potentially being changed to three phase due to loads and some three phase appliances.  this is all fine with me, but she currently has solar panels which are currently on the single phase,  is it as simple as leaving as it is or does it need modifying to account for the 3 phase supply.  

look forward to your replies

It will be fine as it is, plus I doubt you could even get a 3 phase inverter small enough. 3 phase inverters start at 6Kw and I'm guessing your customer has roughly 4kW of panels. 

thanks for the reply binky,  assume the new 3 phase meter will account for any excess power fed back into the grid, even though itll just be on one phase/

wayne

thanks for the reply binky,  assume the new 3 phase meter will account for any excess power fed back into the grid, even though itll just be on one phase/

wayne
depends on the meter, but that's irrelevent anyway. The solar system will have it's own 'generation meter' that is required for the Feed in Tariff. When organising the ccts, try to add the solar to the phase with the most loads, like utility room and downstairs lights. It's not ideal having single phase inverter on a 3 phase board