Sign in to follow this  
monkey5

Single phase Solar on TP supply

monkey5

Evening all,

Feel i should know this but have nothing to do with solar so please forgive me,   ive got a customer who currently has a normal single phase supply, this is potentially being changed to three phase due to loads and some three phase appliances.  this is all fine with me, but she currently has solar panels which are currently on the single phase,  is it as simple as leaving as it is or does it need modifying to account for the 3 phase supply.  

look forward to your replies

binky

It will be fine as it is, plus I doubt you could even get a 3 phase inverter small enough. 3 phase inverters start at 6Kw and I'm guessing your customer has roughly 4kW of panels. 

monkey5

thanks for the reply binky,  assume the new 3 phase meter will account for any excess power fed back into the grid, even though itll just be on one phase/

wayne

binky
3 minutes ago, monkey5 said:

thanks for the reply binky,  assume the new 3 phase meter will account for any excess power fed back into the grid, even though itll just be on one phase/

wayne

depends on the meter, but that's irrelevent anyway. The solar system will have it's own 'generation meter' that is required for the Feed in Tariff. When organising the ccts, try to add the solar to the phase with the most loads, like utility room and downstairs lights. It's not ideal having single phase inverter on a 3 phase board

monkey5
3 minutes ago, binky said:

It's not ideal having single phase inverter on a 3 phase board

assume you mean no ideal but ok?

4 minutes ago, binky said:

The solar system will have it's own 'generation meter' that is required for the Feed in Tariff

of course it does.

binky
27 minutes ago, monkey5 said:

assume you mean no ideal but ok?

Yup! it will only feed leccy into the single phase it's connected to - won't bother the meter itself. 

monkey5

cheers 

binky
20 hours ago, monkey5 said:

cheers 

:Welcome: I just had a quick check, you can get down to a 5kW inverterin 3 phase format at around £600 + VAT. The current inverters will work quite well with lower wattages of panels, or you could try getting more panels on the roof :^O