Plug socket in partition wall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ianmac61

Reaction score
Hi

I have put up a partition wall in my garage to separate it into 2 rooms with a door in the middle and a double plug socket in the partition and I have heard that a electric wall socket has to be 350mm away from the wall, which would make it only 250mm away from the door frame in my partition, is this ok. 
I live in Scotland 

Hi

I have put up a partition wall in my garage to separate it into 2 rooms with a door in the middle and a double plug socket in the partition and I have heard that a electric wall socket has to be 350mm away from the wall, which would make it only 250mm away from the door frame in my partition, is this ok. 
I live in Scotland 
Not sure I agree with that. 

who told you that !

Where are you?

Under Scottish Building regulations, a switch or socket must be at least 300mm out from a corner, it's part of the accessibility regulations, the same set of rules that says it must be 400mm above the floor etc.  There might be similar things in the English building regs.

If building control are inspecting this, then it is up to them.  If they are not, stop worrying.

At least in a partition wall it is easy to move it if someone insists you do.