Premature collapse cable support

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
Hey Chaps I know with the 18th edition we have to use metal fixings for cables as well as plastic in case of premature collapse. 

If say the cable was run in PVC conduit in a wooden summer house would this still be the case ? A: it’s made of wood B: It’s not the main house 

I know you can use metal saddles but just wanted to know if it was a requirement. E.g I know that for uninhabitable places like garages you don’t have to abide by the regs for heights of sockets and guess it would be the same for an outbuilding ? Thoughts ? 

It's to stop entanglement of people getting out/firefighters getting in and out. Firefighters aren't going to be going into a wooden summer house and people are going to be able to get out long before cables start to drop over exit routes. Most summer houses are so poorly constructed the plastic conduit is likely to be standing longer than the burning summer house anyway  :^O

Personally for what it takes I stick metal clips/saddles or whatever where cables run over doors/windows in garages, summer houses, sheds etc. You're talking a few pence or a couple of quid on a job, it's not worth not doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just done one and yes i use metal clips on the ceiling, and suspect the clips will last longer than the ceiling - BUT as @Bolton spark quite rightly points out that for the tiny extra cost its easier to just always to it than think should I

There is a lot of debate about this on this thread:

now are we talking about a big "shed" cheap shed or a quality garden office 🤣

I erected a big shed last year, wish I had just built it from scratch it's so flimsy. Basically it's built from something like roofing battens. Now it's fair to say some sheds are big enough now to have a bedroom, in which case then a few metal clips may be a good idea, and I would certainly be looking to fit smoke detectors. Beyond that I really see no reason to use them when you can be out the door in under 5 seconds. 

I erected a big shed last year, wish I had just built it from scratch it's so flimsy. Basically it's built from something like roofing battens. Now it's fair to say some sheds are big enough now to have a bedroom, in which case then a few metal clips may be a good idea, and I would certainly be looking to fit smoke detectors. Beyond that I really see no reason to use them when you can be out the door in under 5 seconds. 
does this qualify as a big shed???? :D

View attachment 11438

Latest posts