Electric help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrbobj

Reaction score
Hi everyone I moved into a ground floor flat in June last year and set up eon account on the day I moved in paying 30 electric 30 gas per month the place I’m living at was a house years ago and have just found out that my electric and gas meters are linked to upstairs flat we both have own front doors the electric meter is in my bedroom and I’ve switched energy suppliers in jan and been hit with a 590 pound bill which is his usage upstairs ... why isn’t there two meters for each property and is there someone I can contact about this , my estate agents appear to be unresponsive 

i can see my electic cable coming out my flat into his and electrician has told me this too as I had a 5 year electric test done

thanks Adam 

I assume this is a rented property?

So I would think its your landlord you need to contact....?

Have the people upstairs not being paying anything?

:C  

Are you 100% sure you are supplying upstairs ?

you could just have a looped supply which is very common.

so maybe tomorrow evening, when you know the other people are in turn off your main switch on your fuseboard and see what happens ? If you meter continues to show consumption then you could be paying for their lecky

Hi chaps yes it’s a rented property when I turn my electric off at the circuit breaker his electric stays on the electrician said he is pulling electric from a sub meter linked to me I’ve done a blackout test and yes my meter still spinning after I turn off the circuit breaker , next to my meter is a fuse box to turn his electric off upstairs as electrician used this to kill his power , guy upstairs hasn’t paid me nothing or said anything to me and estate agents not doing nothing either 

sounds like you have the supply and electric meter, with another private meter feeding upstairs. that means youre responsible for paying the electric bill and then charging them for their use... sounds like a bad setup (it is a common setup, but usually the landlord would be dealing with the electric bill and splitting it between relevant parties).

pics would help, but if it is setup that way, then you need to be getting legal advice / solicitor imo

and for that much power, does upstairs have a farm?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure what he is using upstairs just not ideal me working nights and he has never said anything to me about usage and yes landlord owns both the set up is black thick cable from street into wall into the side of an old box meter with seals on then another black cable comes out of meter down into skirting board then comes out the back of my flat along my living room roof then into his flat above me estate agents doing nothing when it’s the same landlord and same estate agents renting both flats out 

At least both flats have the same owner and agent.

If , and I say if there is only 1 meter - then the only sensible split is 50% each AND the landlord paying the bill, then each of you paying him/her - is the supply in your name? and what does your agreement say about the electricity bills?

Have you raised this issue with the owner or agent ?

I have raised the issue with agents and contract states I must get in contact with company’s to set up my bills upon moving in and yes it’s in my name gas is the same electrician has told me there is two pipes coming off that too 

My advice to you is to write to the agent to ask how the flat above is paying for their bills .......... and see what they say in writing

Is this a new conversion?

If you can't get either the upstairs tenant or the letting agent to discuss this sensibly you could point out that you are in a position to shut off the supplies to upstairs. 

It's your supply account, therefore your electricity and gas, and the controls are in your flat.  

It won't be good for neighbourly relations to actually do it, but threatening to could bring the subject to a head.

Yea I have emailed estate agents my final bill with eon which is 590 pound debt for him above me 11 months of electric and gas combined bill that seems about right but I haven’t heard from estate agents yet but will give it a week to see if they sort this issue out as they must of known it was like this renting it out surely seems abit naughty to me all this 

Yea I have emailed estate agents my final bill with eon which is 590 pound debt for him above me 11 months of electric and gas combined bill that seems about right but I haven’t heard from estate agents yet but will give it a week to see if they sort this issue out as they must of known it was like this renting it out surely seems abit naughty to me all this 
is this a new conversion?

so you’ve paid £540 and are in £590 debt - that’s more than the combined cost we pay for a 4 bedroom detached with 3.5 adults in it

something isn’t correct here

If you work nights then shut off the power when you go to bed, and or when you leave for work. It will not be long before landlord appears, you can then explain that you are not going to be responsible for all. 
He’ll either ask you to leave in which case he is terminating your agreement so you will not incur penalties or he will do something about it. 

I’ve paid 60 a month from June to jan then switched supplier ( Ino that makes it double as bad ) and then been hit with his usage which I’m guessing is the 590 debt eon are chasing me for 

Previous tenants left a debt letter of 7500 pound to Scottish power crazy aye 

I’ve paid 60 a month from June to jan then switched supplier ( Ino that makes it double as bad ) and then been hit with his usage which I’m guessing is the 590 debt eon are chasing me for 

Previous tenants left a debt letter of 7500 pound to Scottish power crazy aye 
if you didn’t leave debt on your old account and carried on paying the same on the new account could it just be you were not paying enough for your new agreement

if you get your post count to 10 you can upload photos

Nope defo not me using all that power for sure and I will upload pics tomorrow if I can but it’s clear he is using power as I can see my meter moving when I have killed all my power and electrician has told me he has a sub meter connected to my meter 

are you on speaking terms with them? is the building as 2 separate properties or 1 thats been converted into 2? do you share the same entrance / front door?