Hi Everyone

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GD16

Reaction score
I am one of those who has chosen to train as a domestic installer, I have been on one of the short courses recently the training was good but a bit light I suspect for real world situations. Thankfully I am a fully qualified electronics engineer and have worked in electrical aircraft systems and manufacturing sites in the past. 

Hopefully my background and fault finding skills wont go to waste and importantly my understanding of the needs for bonding and earthing😬

Looking forward to reading the amusing and sometimes concerning posts.

Welcome. Your background sounds not unlike mine, except I didn't do any retraining after early retirement, but then did ten years on part time all-trades property maintenance at a care home.

You will find the, "proper", electricians on here helpful as long as you don't bull**** them.

I am one of those who has chosen to train as a domestic installer, I have been on one of the short courses recently the training was good but a bit light I suspect for real world situations. Thankfully I am a fully qualified electronics engineer and have worked in electrical aircraft systems and manufacturing sites in the past. 

Hopefully my background and fault finding skills wont go to waste and importantly my understanding of the needs for bonding and earthing😬

Similar background to myself. Main differences will be, by aircraft standards, lots of 'tractor tech' terminations, learning house bashing, and getting your head around it's power rather than control circuitry. You will also have to learn how to second guess DIY works and dodgy work by so called sparkies. 

welcome matey

as for the amusing posts .... they are rather to frequent tbh .....and often the people that post them don’t appreciate us pointing out dangerous or bad practice.

so ask away and remember there is no question that is stupid ...

are you a member of a cps as yet?

Hi guys, thanks for the encouragement and support. I haven't chosen a CPS scheme yet any recommendations NICEIC (Certsure LLP) or NAPIT ?

Obviously just starting out so will need to get practical evidence together first I assume via building control inspections initially for notifiable work.

Speak to your scheme of choice as some have their own ‘work around’ although I read recently that they are stopping short course entrants (subject to course and qualifications gained I suspect).

What qualifications did you obtain from your short course? 

Hi the course was a few  City and Guilds which I have looked at and they are minimum for a domestic installer but I will also need to demonstrate 2 years of experience in electrical work I believe before I can register for CPS so I guess do the work and carefully record everything done (design and install) and ensure I do some notifiable work, get it inspected by building control. Then I should be able to register.

C&G 4141

C&G 2393

C&G 2392

C&G 2382-18 18TH EDITION REGULATIONS

I already have a ONC and HNC in electrical and electronic engineering this made the C & G training really easy for me thankfully.

Hi the course was a few  City and Guilds which I have looked at and they are minimum for a domestic installer but I will also need to demonstrate 2 years of experience in electrical work I believe before I can register for CPS so I guess do the work and carefully record everything done (design and install) and ensure I do some notifiable work, get it inspected by building control. Then I should be able to register.

C&G 4141

C&G 2393

C&G 2392

C&G 2382-18 18TH EDITION REGULATIONS

I already have a ONC and HNC in electrical and electronic engineering this made the C & G training really easy for me thankfully.

there are lots of sparks struggling to keep up at the moment so maybe reach out to local guys to see if they an extra pair of hands on occasions…. This would give you invaluable experience because these courses don’t even scratch the surface of what you need to know

Thanks guys

I'm in the South East, near Tring at the moment but due to relocate back to my roots in Somerset probably next year.

Ideally if  I could get some work at weekends as electricians mate to get some experience as Im still working in my old job at the moment, I will contact some local sparks.

That way I can get the hands on experience I need, even not getting payed is not an issue if I can keep old job going as well for a while.