Invest in Solar Farm - Where?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elnencatala

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently looking at investing in solar farms here in the UK. I don't really want to finance the development of the entire farm myself, because it's a lot of money if the farm goes belly up. 

Would you happen to know where I could go to find a person/entity offering "shares" if you will of a solar farm (assuming such a scheme even exists)?

If there's a site that compares the different solar farms or advertises them, that would be great too! :)

Thanks in advance. 

If it looks too good, it probably is. 

Investing in solar farms WILL be VERY expensive and the returns are very long term, as I understand it.

Maybe @binky will offer his thoughts

Hi,

I am currently looking at investing in solar farms here in the UK. I don't really want to finance the development of the entire farm myself, because it's a lot of money if the farm goes belly up. 

Would you happen to know where I could go to find a person/entity offering "shares" if you will of a solar farm (assuming such a scheme even exists)?

If there's a site that compares the different solar farms or advertises them, that would be great too! :)

Thanks in advance. 

The  main builder of solar farms in the UK, whose name I forget, sold off their stock a few years ago to various investment / hedge fund outfits. I would be wary of investing in large farms purely becuase most of them were 'thrown up' with the cheapest panels / frames / gangs of labour possible. Consequently many have now had to be re-wired becuse they buried the DC cables directly in the ground causing premature cable failure. Many also suffer constant failures of the inverters, and panels breaking. So in short I would be very careful what you are investing in. You may have more luck with community energy schemes such as Plymouth Energy Community, who installed panels on schools and sell the electric generated to them. These smaller schemes used local installation companies like myself, and we work to higher standards making the solar arrays more reliable. 

Hi guys, 

All interesting points you mentioned. Would any of you happen to know the best place (eg. website, marketplace or something IRL) I could go to gather investors so we could build our own solar farm?  

Thanks. 

I will suggest opening your own solar company rather then investing in someone else business. 

Last edited by a moderator: