Testing qualifications for part P notifiable and non notifiable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albion

Reaction score
Morning all, I want to set up as a domestic installer. 

I have the level 1 and 2 2360.

I am returning to the industry after having worked for a maintenance company over 10 years ago. 

I intend to do the Part P, 18th ed and level 2 inspect and test.

I recently got my ECS card but have had no joy getting work as a mate as they want references so have had to find another way in. 

I was always under the impression that I was able to do minor works with qualification, which even the maintenance company (not domestic) did not push for. I know know that they have to have a minor works cert.

I have continued to do small jobs as a sideline and consider myself competent at that level. 

My brother in law has a building company and I will be able to get work through him, mainly notifiable but will keep my full time job (shift work) for now.

Any notification work (which will only be a few over the year) I will go through building control. My brother in law is able to absorb the cost of this, especially if I give him a good rate. 

My main questions are around inspect and test.

1. Is level 2 Inspect and test adequate to fill in Minor Works Certificates (non notifiable)?

2. Is level 2 Inspect and test adequate testing for notifiable domestic work?

I realise that getting an NVQ 3 and going through a competent person scheme is consistent preferable but that is not an option at the moment. 

Many thanks all. Clive

You do need to get your 18th ed at a minimum - and best read the minimum requirements for joining a CPS 

Do you have the 16th or 17th exams?

Do you have insurances?

You don't need any formal "qualification" to compile a Minor Works.

As for notifying works building control may want evidence you have some kind of testing certificate. 

Thanks for the reply Murdoch and Fleeting. 

Yes I intend to do it by the book, will get the 18th and the correct testing course.

My question is the Level 2 which I believe is domestic only good enough? 

I don't see any reason why I would need 3 phase testing skills. 

Unfortunately they seem to be changing the law this September as regards joining the schemes. They will be looking for an NVQ3, which is hard to provide if you are not working in the industry already. 

Thanks for the reply Murdoch and Fleeting. 

Yes I intend to do it by the book, will get the 18th and the correct testing course.

My question is the Level 2 which I believe is domestic only good enough? 

I don't see any reason why I would need 3 phase testing skills. 

Unfortunately they seem to be changing the law this September as regards joining the schemes. They will be looking for an NVQ3, which is hard to provide if you are not working in the industry already. 

Best you avoid any notifiable work then and whats the comment about 3 phase testing about?

To get yourself ready for the CPS's you need to get on top of testing, certification, clear quotes and estimates, insurances, test kit which has up to date calibration certs and a number of publications ............

Yes I understand that. None of that will be a problem. My question is about which inspect and test course to go on. Is the  City & Guilds 2392-10 inspection and testing course adequate as I believe it does not include 3 phase which is not needed for domestic. 

Hi all, what qualifications are needed to be a Maintenance Domestic Electrician?

If seems logical from what I have researched that any maintenance would be classed as Minor Works as no new circuits are being added, just the old ones fixed or units swapped like for like. 

Or occasionally just one socket or light will be added. 

Also when issuing Minor Works Certificates, I know these have to be tested but is the qualification needed if a person is 'competent'? 

as I believe it does not include 3 phase which is not needed for domestic. 

Why do you assume that?

I know of some "larger" domestic properties..   especially in some more rural location to do have 3-phase..

Those with a bit more land...  space for the heated outdoor swimming pool..

I know of one with electric heating under the front drive to stop it freezing over in the winter!!

Admittedly they are the exception...  BUT   just because it's domestic doesn't mean its single phase..

anymore than a commercial has to be three phase..   

I have no real idea what your I&T 2392 actually covers..?

as when I did my I&T back in May 2000..  it was just the one course..  covered everything AFAIK ?

Doing minor works, still requires the alteration to be appropriately tested..

And 644.5 just requires any certificate relating to electrical work to be signed / authenticated by someone skilled and competent,

and able to verify the work meets the standards of BS7671..

The bottom is..  do you consider yourself competent..?

and/or do you have any appropriate qualifications / experience to verify your competence..?

There isn't actually any pre-specified list of 'X','Y' & 'Z' must be met..

So you will struggle to find a definitive answer to your question.

:coffee      

There are lots of 3 phase domestic properties and lots of single phase commercial

i do think that competence should be divided between single and multi phase

Hi all, what qualifications are needed to be a Maintenance Domestic Electrician?

If seems logical from what I have researched that any maintenance would be classed as Minor Works as no new circuits are being added, just the old ones fixed or units swapped like for like. 

Or occasionally just one socket or light will be added. 

Also when issuing Minor Works Certificates, I know these have to be tested but is the qualification needed if a person is 'competent'? 

Two near identical questions merged into same thread, as most answers are very similar. 

Doc H

OK thank you everyone. I do consider myself competent for minor works but like everyone there is always something more to  learn. 

Thanks Special Location for the comprehensive answer. 

Thanks Doc H. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A key point you have got to remember is Minor Work's doesn't mean less danger...

Just..  no new circuits added..

A botched up outside light, extra socket, or repaired section of cable can still kill someone just as quickly as if it was a full rewire..

In my opinion Minor Works..  (ergo, your typical DIY alteration)..  can be more dangerous than major works..

As with smaller jobs, budgets can be tighter so less dubious workers may try to cut-corners..

So the level of competence to design / install / test / certify..   is no less than for major full EIC works..

Basically the electricity in the cables don't give two-hoots as to the type of certificate issued, (or not)...

It can still kill a healthy adult in less than a second if it has been done wrong!

Guinness

A key point you have got to remember is Minor Work's doesn't mean less danger...

Just..  no new circuits added..

A botched up outside light, extra socket, or repaired section of cable can still kill someone just as quickly as if it was a full rewire..

In my opinion Minor Works..  (ergo, your typical DIY alteration)..  can be more dangerous than major works..

As with smaller jobs, budgets can be tighter so less dubious workers may try to cut-corners..

So the level of competence to design / install / test / certify..   is no less than for major full EIC works..

Basically the electricity in the cables don't give two-hoots as to the type of certificate issued, (or not)...

It can still kill a healthy adult in less than a second if it has been done wrong!

Guinness

AND

Could I please add that a lot of these "minor" jobs are done by people who are not up with the regs so are unaware of RCD's being mandated for lighting circuits - and seemingly lots of competent sparks around here are "over looking" this requirement too.