B5C2F3F3-A16C-4F0D-87BB-2740CACC4278.jpeg

370826DD-5871-48A2-AD79-4CC0DDFFBAF6.jpeg

Nigel sparks

0BF8E714-DC73-4B23-B4A9-D55FC1D829E1.jpeg

1DE303C3-49F9-488D-9600-17F0A6F8492A.jpeg

4F96B70B-7E4C-49F6-9E3E-EB5379B8A799.jpeg

ProDave

The Plumbtrician has been busy.

Are those Yorkshires soldered?  If so, how did he a) solder without melting the cable or b) thread the wires after soldering.

If not soldered, how does he ensure earth continuity in the "conduit"?

Sharpend

More to the question why?

Nigel sparks

Hi yes it’s soldered and there are two flexes in there. The pipe is not earthed at all , it starts at the pvc box on ceiling the tubes to 2 number wall lights

Geoff1946

I guess he's creating a feature. It won't look nearly as smart when the copper ages. 

Nigel sparks

I think it must be a designer idea but he or she should of refused as pipe is not earthed , way to small, bend radius too tight and no cable protection on entry or exit of pipe

Geoff1946
20 minutes ago, Nigel sparks said:

I think it must be a designer idea but he or she should of refused as pipe is not earthed , way to small, bend radius too tight and no cable protection on entry or exit of pipe

Hmm. I'm not sure there. If the flex is sheathed there isn't anything there you wouldn't find in many commercial manufactured, (double insulated), light fittings.

Nigel sparks

Do you think it would comply then? It’s installed in a restaurant toilet that I went to last night. You would never install  metal conduit that wasn’t earthed.

Geoff1946

I don't know Nigel.

I can see it would be hard to hold it up against wiring regulations, but as I say he could have bought a light fitting with all the shortcomings you point out.

Nigel sparks

True but I think I would at least earth the pipe and provide protection where flex enters and exits the pipe, the flex loop is crying out to be swung on by some drunk too

binky
14 minutes ago, Nigel sparks said:

Do you think it would comply then? It’s installed in a restaurant toilet that I went to last night. You would never install  metal conduit that wasn’t earthed.

we normally do this to suite singles though. Personally I think I would have taken the pipe into the PVC box to allow a discreet earth bond

Nigel sparks

Yes that would help , singles are designed to go in conduit , not two flexes in a copper pipe, say for arguments sake a plumber was to cut into it 

Andy™

cable is double insulated so no real need to earth the copper. also, many lights are designed in the same way as class 2, metallic parts with all double insulated / reinforced wiring

Nigel sparks

Must be just me then , I thought it really bad especially in a public place . I appreciate your opinion s though thank you

Phoenix

On what? Personanlly I don't like how it looks but I'd hope the tube is earthed at some point and the end where the cable comes out is de-burred, what strain relief to the fitting.

If going for the steampunk aesthetic then why not bare MICC?

Nigel sparks

Hi no earth and not sure about de- burring and no strain relief. I would of used galv conduit personally 

Doc Hudson

Duplicate threads merged.

Doc H.

Nigel sparks

Thank you

Murdoch

Problem these days is that we all see less than desirable installations ....

couple of years ago I was asked to connect up some new hand dryers in a cafe toilets - one look at the newly installed cable and told the owner I wouldn’t use the cable - on 2 grounds, 

1. the case wasn’t big enough

2. it was 2 core cable 

he wasn’t very impressed BUT let me do it properly

Nigel sparks

Yes that’s true , but do you think this install would comply

Sidewinder

Cable is insulated and sheathed, thus it already has adequate mechanical protection.

It appears to be flex, which is not acceptable for fixed installation.

CCC is reduced in flex also.

Bend radii likely to be below the cable limits.

Should be labelled to indicate that it is carrying electric cable as it would not be expected.

Is it an extraneous-conductive-part?…

I can’t tell.

Is it an extraneous-conductive-part?…

Potentially.

Does tray or basket carrying flat twin require bonding?

Probably.

Thus likely the pipework does require bonding.

However, that will ruin the look, so the interior designer will not want that.

The installation certificate for the work would likely require a deviation for this.  Therefore the whole design of it and the safety is reliant upon details of the design and the responsibility lay on the person signing for the design, so I hope that they have suitable PII for this,

Nigel sparks

Thank you that’s a very good review of the instal

Fleeting

Difficult to tell from the pics the type of cable but flexible cords/cables are permitted by BS7671 provided certain conditions are met, see Regulation 521.9

kerching

In my bigoted opinion.....rough as!

with a bit of ingenuity it could have been bushed at each end with , for example, a couple of 15mm - 1/2" FI couplers and a plastic stuffing gland. Taken inside plastic box and earthed. Still as rough as a rough thing BUT better than  at present