Would like your opinions please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Plumbtrician has been busy.

Are those Yorkshires soldered?Ā  If so, how did he a) solder without melting the cable or b) thread the wires after soldering.

If not soldered, how does he ensure earth continuity in the "conduit"?

Hi yes itā€™s soldered and there are two flexes in there. The pipe is not earthed at all , it starts at the pvc box on ceiling the tubes to 2 number wall lights

I think it must be a designer idea but he or she should of refused as pipe is not earthed , way to small, bend radius too tight and no cable protection on entry or exit of pipe

I think it must be a designer idea but he or she should of refused as pipe is not earthed , way to small, bend radius too tight and no cable protection on entry or exit of pipe

Hmm. I'm not sure there. If the flex is sheathed there isn't anything there you wouldn't find in many commercial manufactured, (double insulated), light fittings.

Do you think it would comply then? Itā€™s installed in a restaurant toilet that I went to last night. You would never install Ā metal conduit that wasnā€™t earthed.

I don't know Nigel.

I can see it would be hard to hold it up against wiring regulations, but as I say he could have bought a light fitting with all the shortcomings you point out.

True but I think I would at least earth the pipe and provide protection where flex enters and exits the pipe, the flex loop is crying out to be swung on by some drunk too

Do you think it would comply then? Itā€™s installed in a restaurant toilet that I went to last night. You would never install Ā metal conduit that wasnā€™t earthed.
Ā we normally do this to suite singles though. Personally I think I would have taken the pipe into the PVC box to allow a discreetĀ earth bond

Yes that would help , singles are designed to go in conduit , not two flexes in a copper pipe, say for arguments sake a plumber was to cut into itĀ 

cable is double insulated so no real need to earth the copper. also, many lights are designed in the same way as class 2, metallic parts with all double insulated / reinforced wiring

Must be just me then , I thought it really bad especially in a public place . I appreciate your opinion s though thank you

On what? Personanlly I don't like how it looks but I'd hope the tube is earthed at some point and the end where the cable comes out is de-burred, what strain relief to the fitting.

If going for the steampunk aesthetic then why not bare MICC?

Hi no earth and not sure about de- burring and no strain relief. I would of used galv conduit personallyĀ 

Problem these days is that we all see less than desirable installations ....

couple of years ago I was asked to connect up some new hand dryers in a cafe toilets - one look at the newly installed cable and told the owner I wouldnā€™t use the cable - on 2 grounds,Ā 

1. the case wasnā€™t big enough

2. it was 2 core cableĀ 

he wasnā€™t very impressed BUT let me do it properly