how long to chase in a socket?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibspark

Electrician
Reaction score
hi all, how long would you give yourself to chase in a socket that is currently surface mounted, cables are already chased in.

ive not done alot chasing, in fact ive only ever chased in one socket in my own flat!!!!! im sure it took me about 45mins!

ive had a call to estimate for chasing in 10 boxes and im trying to work out a price.

oh by the way it will be with a hammer and bolster.

you really need a SDS for chasing 10 sockets. you can do it by hand, but it will take you a lot longer and almost guaranteed your price will be beaten

how long depends on the brick... if its soft, it just crumbles, if its hard, it take a long time. if its thermolite it can be scraped with a wood chisel, if its breeze, doesnt take too long.

maybe allow 15 mins each for the chasing, few mins to fix box to wall, then time to connect socket

oh thats a good point, my sds has got rotary stop i may aswell use that!! lol

so does

oh yes! i seem to get alot of fault finding call outs which is my favourite part of the job and i would happily do them all day long! always something different, good money and people appreciate it more when its all working again.

plus it would seem that not many people around here do call outs. i may be wrong though.

plus it would seem that not many people around here do call outs. i may be wrong though.
its sometimes the same here. ill get a call at 3am or something and when i get to the job, i sometimes get told they have phoned at least 5 and either got no answer or told they wont come out

its sometimes the same here. ill get a call at 3am or something and when i get to the job, i sometimes get told they have phoned at least 5 and either got no answer or told they wont come out
yup i get the same, although i did turn one down this week, sat at home with a stinker of a cold and headache and got a call, 'my house alarm wont turn off' ****** that!

get a wall chaser .. aldi had some good 1`s with dust extraction .. 50 pound i think ..

i would never buy a silver line but hewre is an example .

or here

get a wall chaser .. aldi had some good 1`s with dust extraction .. 50 pound i think .. i would never buy a silver line but hewre is an example .

or here
are they any good for chasing in sockets though?

I paid a couple of hundred pound for a wall chaser a few years ago and used it may be 5 times in all.

Great for fast empty refurb work, providing single cables are installed wothout capping.

I always find the capping to be wider than the chaser will chase out.

I always use the rotary stop function and chase out with sdc chisels far quicker.

i must get myself a tranny to keep in the van as my cordless sds hasnt got rotary stop.