Putting cable through walls

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistymoo

Reaction score
I'd appreciate some advice please...

If I need to take cable through an external wall to outside (say for an outside light or to take power to a shed) what do I fill the hole with around the cable to make sure fire regs etc are met? I suppose it depends on what the building is made out of? There's probably a really obvious section in a book somewhere that I've missed reading but if you guys have got any experiences of this you could share that would be even better.

Thanks,

M

I wouldn't worry about fire regs to the outside but more about damp

fill the hole with silicon and drill up hill from outside so no water can track across cable

i just drill though at a slight angle, (higher on the inside) and then use quick drying cement.

I found it on pg 107 in the regs book, well the bit about fire regs anyway. Thanks. I used some silcone stuff but it was way high up on the building so no one will see it anyway!

no one mentiond sleeve ? we sleeve any cables through walls usually using plastic conduit. surely i am not the only 1 who does this .. :) hehe

inside to out

small drill bit progressing larger to the required size

tape on drill bit to roughly depth of wall slow down when near to outside wall

prevents large ''blowing'' of brick

The whole submain was in conduit. I was in a loft on a really warm day putting cable through conduit to avoid rodent damage. However I am not moaning as it beats the pants off the office I used to work in.

The conduit was not an exact fit for the hole in the wall hence the q. Thanks for your answers.

M