Trading Standards Checking Up.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green-hornet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received a letter today from the trading standards regarding some work I do for a local company who advertise that they are part p compliant.

Apparently they called the company to say that there advertisement was misleading, as they are not registered under the part p scheme.

The owner explained that my company carries out all the electrical work for them, and they do not get involved.

They asked if I did the actual work and tested that, or did I check his work and certify that.

I just do it all, he does not even pay me we do all the work and invoice the customer directly.

I am not registered under my former trading title, but they managed to track me, and are satisfied I am registered, even though the trading title only changed last week!

So it looks like trading standards at least are checking up on bogus traders.

I am so glad that they are, maybe the scheme providers could follow suit.

Thats good to hear, maybe just maybe things are starting to move in the right direction with regard to part P

Was talking to one of the tutors (who's also a sparky) at my training course last week about Part P and he's heard from NICEIC that a big crackdown is imminent. I see that there's also going to be TV advertising about it. I'd like to think otherwise but I doubt it'll have a big impact.

to be honest the inspectors are as frustrated as us about it .. :(

there is no easy fix. if there was only 1 scheme provider it would be easier much like the old corgi scheme.,

1 would be better then we would all be under the same rules and regs rather than all the different schemes asking for different things and confusing the customer and engineers.

works with gas and would work with electrics ..

one point of contact for advice and complaint ..

obviously not because choice is making indecision. why would it be niceic surely eca or elecsa would be just as good.

anyway they would bid for it much like gasesafe did with corgi ..

I heard the same about a up comming TV campaign about part P.....gonna be fronted by Linda Barker apparently.

I heard the same about a up comming TV campaign about part P.....gonna be fronted by Linda Barker apparently.
Yes but thats who the NICEIC have recruited, so I would presume that they will only promote the NICEIC and not other scheme providers.

So I suggest you all get your own ROTFWL

I'm sure like me you were all told the part p clampdown was imminent when we first joined the scheme......... Still waiting !!!

I'm sure like me you were all told the part p clampdown was imminent when we first joined the scheme......... Still waiting !!!
Beleive you me, I have kicked up a right Hornets nest this year with all.

I have complained and whined until I am sure I will be kicked off the register as a pain in the butt next year LOL.

I do not see the point in blaming anyone for the failure of Part P other than the halfhearted way that it was introduced, and controlled.

The clamp down is comming but it is not from the providers, its secondary through trading standards.

God bless them all.Pray

Was talking to one of the tutors (who's also a sparky) at my training course last week about Part P and he's heard from NICEIC that a big crackdown is imminent. I see that there's also going to be TV advertising about it. I'd like to think otherwise but I doubt it'll have a big impact.
What college are you in Coul?

Welcome to the forum - Thanks for coming out of the 'shadows' and joining in. :)

Beleive you me, I have kicked up a right Hornets nest this year with all.I have complained and whined until I am sure I will be kicked off the register as a pain in the butt next year LOL.

I do not see the point in blaming anyone for the failure of Part P other than the halfhearted way that it was introduced, and controlled.

The clamp down is comming but it is not from the providers, its secondary through trading standards.

God bless them all.Pray
How that report going Mate?

That is the problem though. They aren't checking up on Cowboys - They are checking up on a Genuine Proffessional Spark.

1 would be better then we would all be under the same rules and regs rather than all the different schemes asking for different things and confusing the customer and engineers.works with gas and would work with electrics ..

one point of contact for advice and complaint ..
I keep emailing CORGI and no-one replies.....................

:coat

who's heard of gas safe?

The report has been hijacked by some reporters.

My mate who is a journalist told me they where using me as a mug.

Apparently the report I was writing could be worth a load of money, if they had to pay some one to write it.

I am still going ahead with it for copyright issues and all material I have submitted I have posted back to my address to prove ownership of my research.

I have also written to some very influencial people regarding the failures of part p, the frustration regulated electricians face regarding the inconsistancies of the regulations, and the "blind" eye some providers choose to use to avoid any confrontation.

The program on itv "Tonight" where going to do a feature, this may still go ahead but without my input, however my solicitor says if they use my research for the basis of the program they may be liable.

I am afraid its another case of an electrician given the shaft:^O

I am not supposed to openly discuss what I was writing but I really do not care now, they have used me as a gullible fool, to which I can only say, next time I will be just as shark like as they are.

Other than that its going great, and I have had some positive responses from the scheme providers, and the electrical safety council.

I have had some personal e-mails from various electricians, who whish to stay private but have told me loads of usefull stuff,and a survey I did in my local area showed out of 100 people 2 actually knew what part P was, 6 people said they had heard of it but did not know what it meant, 67 people said they thought they had heard of part p but could not or did not know where from.

87% of them where aware of corgi, 45% where aware of the recent change to gas safe.

When I asked where they got the information from they all thats 100% said from the recent TV advert for gas safe!

The same people when asked said they would carry out electrical work in their own home because they said it was simple and not as dangerous as gas?

Apparantly you only die from gas!

I would love to see the actual statistics.

I would rather do my own gas than electrics if I was a numpty, its easier to seal a bloody pipe than prevent an overload on a cable ffs.

PIR on a house full day

Gas safe landlords certificate on a house 20 minutes( if he has a brew).

Just goes to show the bull we have to put up with.

That is the problem though. They aren't checking up on Cowboys - They are checking up on a Genuine Proffessional Spark.
The person I do work for advertises he his part P which clearly he is not. The trading standards called him and said his advert was misleading.

I got a letter from them asking if I did all the work or checked his work then gave a certificate.

Has I have said before he calls me in whenever he needs an electrician, and I am solely responsible for the whole installation and certificate.

So I would think if a crack down is due, it could not come at a better time, however there is one area where trading standards should look and that is these handy man services that do everything.

FFS I would not reslate a roof, any more than I would build a brick wall, or fix a partition wall, yet all of the above is done by superman handyman.