Cable protectors - Joists

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couleddie

Reaction score
Bloke on training course last week mentioned metal joist cable protectors. Anyone got a link for these?

Hi there,

Its always best to avoid notches - they're for plumbers!

Here's the screwfix version (they are rubbish - thin, aren't very big, and don't stay fixed): http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30038/Building/Builders-Metalwork/Protecta-Safe-Plate-Pack-of-20

Here is the link for the TLC version (slightly better): http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Necessities~Cable_Protection/index.html

The above two will do, or if you really are worried about nails and screws, get yourself some 50mm flat steel bar, cut it to the required lengths , drill two holes and hey presto.

O.

ps - Annoying how plumbers don't use any protection for their pipes and they are the main culprits for notching!

Thanks for that. Need to order some stuff from TLC next week so will add these to the order.

Doing some work on my own installation so need these for existing notches.

Having said that though Oracle, Every time that I have tried ording them from Screwfix, there has never been any in stock, the same appplies to my local SF Trade Counter and my local TLC.

Seems like the Screwfix stock control is not what it used to be. They're often out of a lot of basic stuff these days. That's what happens when you become part of B&Q - they send all the stock to the big orange sheds and triple the price!

Thanks for that. Need to order some stuff from TLC next week so will add these to the order. Doing some work on my own installation so need these for existing notches.
How thick are the joists if they are a good size I normally drill a hole rather than go over the top of the joists even if they are notched.

Batty

How thick are the joists if they are a good size I normally drill a hole rather than go over the top of the joists even if they are notched.Batty
This is my preferred method too and i'll be putting cables for new circuits through this way but whilst I have the floorboards up I want to stick some extra protection in for existing cables which have been notched. Overkill maybe but nothing like doing a job right.

To be honest I am very sceptical of these mass produced ones.

They are very thin and I am not sure the protection they give comes up to the required standards.

I have used 1/8th guage steel before wich will bend any nail and break most screws.